ATI Radeon 9600XT @ $149.99, should I buy?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Hi, I've been wanting to upgrade my vid card for the longest time now, I've almost had it for 2 years (GForce3 ti200 64mb), and was thinking of maybe getting a Radeon 9700, 9700 Pro or a 9800, but I have a budget of about $250, and was thinking of buying another 512mb stick of ram also.
Right now at my Local Circuit City they have the ATI RADEON 9600XT that comes with the cupon for HalfLife2 for only $149.99, should I just buy this card and blow the rest on more ram? or should I try and buy a more powerful card?
THanks for any info

Here is my system specs:

Motherboard:ECS SiS 746 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "L7S7A2
CPU: AMD XP2500+ "Barton"
Ram: 512mb pc2700 PNY
Vid Card: Gainward G-Force3 ti200 64mb
Sound Card: SOund Blaster Live
Case: ALtec Lanboy 350watt powersupply
HD1: 40gb Maxtor
HD2: 20gb Maxtor
DVD: Hitachi 8x
CD-RW: Sony 8x4x32

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Check out <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com</A>. They have a GeXcube for 159.99...which appears to have the best stock HSF on any 9600XT, which will help in OCing. It also has a voucher for HL2. If you want a few free games (Raven Shield, TR: AOD, Will Rock and the usual HL2 voucher) check out the Gigabyte 9600XT, which is also $159.99.

Newegg also has a blowout sale of Crucial 512MB PC2700 RAM...$66.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vapor on 01/07/04 06:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
The ATI brand is a good card. For future reference, newegg accepts checks and money orders as well, <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/faq_payment.asp" target="_new"> link </A> so if you have cash you can always get a money order.

cleeve

Illustrious
Awesome deal.

Just be advised if you are looking to overclock it likely has the 3.3ns memory like most BBA R9600XT cards, but if you are running at stock speeds this is a great price, with a good warranty, and the security of a quality build.

But that's just my two frames worth as a BBA R9600Pro (with 2.86ns memory) owner.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
For future reference, newegg accepts checks and money orders as well
*GAWK* I NEVER KNEW THAT!! THAT'S THE BEST NEWS I'VE HEARD IN AWHILE!!! Wow, no longer have to ask parents to use a CC (which means they don't know what I buy)--YAY!!!!

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Yeah the BBA R9600Pro and R9600Pro-AIW both are equipped with the 2.86ns Samsung memory.

Unimaginably ATI put the 3.3ns crap on the replacement R9600XT. A serious draw back in a card that benifits more from increase memory more than just an increase in core (and that's speaking as someone who's seen the benchmarks on my card from stock to 535/370 [which is above an overclocked XT]).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Wow, no longer have to ask parents to use a CC (which means they don't know what I buy)--YAY!!!!
Now if only you could do that with Inflate-A-Date, then you'd be a truely happy man! :tongue:

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Well, I went today to Circuit City to buy it, but now the price has changed, it's $189.99 but with $40 mail-in rebate, which would still bring the final price to $149.99, but dunno if to buy? is that still a good a price? and how long do mail in rebates take to arrive? there are 2, $20 from ati and $20 from circuit city.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Hmmmmm, that's a tough call. I personally don't like mail-ins unless they are a GREAT deal. Might want to try newegg's Money Order...

Ummm, still waiting for the Mail-in rebate on my All in Wonder 128Pro 16mb PCI card from 4 years ago! (It was only $20 and I didn't keep a photocopy of the receipt and stuff so it's not worth the effort to track down IMO)

However it did take HP 4 mths to send me my $40.

Mail in Rebates are a pain in the A$$ IMO, and open you up to junk mail and telemarketers if they don't have an explicit privacy policy.

I will buy a burner (as I will this weekend, I think [LG 8X DVD SuperDrive]) for $189 without mail in rebate instead of the one that costs $199 with $30 mail-in rebate for the same drive. Not worth $20 for the hassle IMO.

Like V said, only worth it if it's a significant amount.

Just my experience.

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I think you can use a money order when ordering from newegg... check into it on the web page.

<font color=red><b>To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, II 262-263

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Well, the thing is, It cost the exact same at Newegg and at Circuit CIty, both are $189.99, but at least at circuit city I have a chance of someday getting $40 back thru mail in rebate, plus I don't have to go thru the hassle of sending money order and stuff.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
GeXCube is a division of Gigabyte--it's good. Also do mean people here don't like GeXCube? People here don't like Gigacube...big difference. And there were no reviews or ratings of GeXcube there...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
You're right...I didn't check on it. But then what's the division of gigabyte that has started to make graphics cards???