foreman1943

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I just installed a Ati Radeon 9800 Pro in my Gateway computer. Every time I try to install the ATI Catalyst software I get this error: Error # 0X80040707 Unable to load aticim.dll.
Does anyone have a solution to this problem????

foreman1943

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Yes I went to Google and found some links that said that the ATI drivers could cause this error and they suggested the Omega drivers which I downloaded and installed and it is working ok now. Although I don't see much improvement over my 64 meg card.
I assume that the cards that you mentioned are all AGP cards because that is what is in my computer.
I'm open to suggestions.

foreman1943

Nope, the card I mentioned are PCI-e 'cause I upgraded my PC back in summer 2006, and yet again in fall 2008.

I don't know what card you had before the 9800Pro so I can't comment on how much improvement you should see. The best thing to do is re-install Windows 'cause that gets rid of any junk in the Registry that may be causing your lack of performance.

foreman1943

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Jaguarskx,

The card that I had before the ATI Radeon 9800 was an Nvidia GE with 64 meg of ram. This system is a Gateway 2000 XL Media system. It came with the Nvidia card. It is a 2 GHz system with 2 gig of ram, which I upgraded from 512 meg of ram. The ram is Rambus RD ram, which is very expensive as compaired to ram now being offered today. To buy 2 gig of new Rambus ram cost over $1000. I bought it on E-bay for $200, which is still high compared to other ram. My wife uses this system to play simple games, nothing that really requires a powerful video card. I just thought that for $15 used, I would give it a try. I recently put in a 400 watt PS so that I could upgrade to a newer video card, which most require 350 watt PS. I was looking for an AGP video card with 512 meg of ram. I saw a couple from Tiger Direct that I was considering. This system runs XP Pro with 2 internal drives and 2 external drives totalling 1 TB of disk space.
I no longer use this system, or at least very little, just my wife. My new system is a HP e9820t with Win 7 Pro 64 bit, a core i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz, with 9 GB of ram and a ATI Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB of ram and a 1.5 TB hard drive, an Acer H243H 24" monitor, actually I bought 2 of these monitors, one for the new HP and one for the Gateway. Very good monitors. I'm very well pleased with this new system.
I was just upgrading my old Gateway for my wife and her games. Someone had suggested that I reinstall Windows but, I have 128 icons on my desktop, yes 128. I have so many programs on it that it would take weeks to reinstall all of them. When I go to Start and programs, the list is completely filled with 4 plus columns of programs. So you can see why I don't want to reinstall windows. Everything is working fine, I just wanted to upgrade the video card for my wife.
Any suggestions as to upgrade this AGP video card would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time and input.

Foreman1943

Rambus RAM... I remember them, one of Intel's worst decision to use them...

The Radeon 9800 should give you better performance. You might have some unused drivers that may be interfering with your performance. The Registry can also be "clogged up" which hampers performance as well.

A clean install should resolve the issue, but as you said, it will take you a long time to re-install everything. You can try installing a freeware program called CCleaner which can be used to clean out your Registry of unused registry entries. It gives you the option to backup entries it will delete so you can restore them just in case.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

What games does your wife play? "Simple games" may not really take advantage of "powerful" video cards.

foreman1943

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Jaguarskx,

I've been using Ccleaner for some time now, I also use Auslogics registry cleaner, and JV16 as well. So as you can see, I've tried a few of them and still use them all.
The games that my wife plays are Mahjong, several different ones, Zuma's Revenge,Pillars of Hercules,Mayan Maze, and a few similar games. My grandson goes online and plays several different Star Wars games, but I'm not exactly sure which ones he plays. He's always online playing several different video games when he is here. And occasionally I'll do some Photoshop work on there too. Most of the Photoshop work I do is on my new HP because I have the CS4 Suite installed on it. I'm still in the learning stage will all the new CS4 stuff.
So I would still like to upgrade to at least a 512 meg AGP video card on the Gateway.
If you or anyone has any suggestions as to what card might be good, I would surely appreciate it very much.

Thanks for you time and input.

Foreman1943

The games that your wife plays seems to be all Flash based games which do not really need a lot of processing power to the best of my knowledge. I really doubt they take much advantage of "powerful" video cards because I believe Flash games are designed to run off of any generic computer and video card.

The games your grandson plays could be a different matter. If he also play Flash based games, then he will likely not see increased performance. If he plays something like Star Wars Galaxies (released by Lucas Arts), then he should see some performance increase.

branflakes71

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with jaguar that the games your wife is playing will not benefit from a faster card.

That said, if you want to "max" out that system, the 512mb 3850 would be way more card than you need:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102730

I just don't see it giving that system any real benefits. Too much else will cause bottlenecks.

I did have a 9800 Pro, too. Liked it and loved the X1950 I went to after it. Both were in a P4 3.2Ghz system. Was a fun gaming system in its day. :)