ATI Radeon HD 2400 Update Problem

MihaiA10

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Ok guys, yesterday I just installed Windows Vista SP2 on my computer. I initially had XP SP2. While I had XP, I was able to update my driver from HD 2400 to HD 4700. However, I then installed a fresh copy of XP, losing my drivers, and then I installed Vista. That was when the problem started. I downloaded from their site the Vista 32-bit compatible display driver pack, which contained many drivers, including HD 4700. I opened the Device Manager and I selected the default display driver(VGA something) and I selected HD 4700. However, after the update was succesful, I had to restart my computer. Then, I saw that the installed driver wasn't HD 4700, but HD 2400. I looked at the details and it said that this device is working properly and everything. It didn't have an exclamation point. I tried with some other drivers, like HD 2900, and after the supposed succesful update, my display driver remained HD 2400. Please help!!!!!!!

Solution
You can't upgrade hardware by installing drivers for other hardware. It doesn't work that way.

AMD drivers will work for a large variety of devices, but they will not upgrade the hardware. You must physically install a new device for this, and the CPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
HD 2400, HD 2900, and HD 4700 are different hardware devices, not drivers. While you may use a common driver package to support them, you can't change your hardware device by trying to force the selection of a particular model.

Sounds like you have a 2400 series device and the driver configured itself properly.

MihaiA10

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Hi, thank you for the reply. Could you please give me the link? I can't find it.

MihaiA10

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017

Thank you sooo much for the links. I recently managed to upgrade Radeon HD 2400 to Radeon HD 4870 X2(Microsoft Corporation something). However, it seems that I can't upgrade it to HD 5000 because Windows will say that the device hasn't installed properly. I quess my processor is the quilty one here, isn't it? I have Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06 GHz. I have no idea how I can upgrade my processor. Is it downloadable after all? :??:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You can't upgrade hardware by installing drivers for other hardware. It doesn't work that way.

AMD drivers will work for a large variety of devices, but they will not upgrade the hardware. You must physically install a new device for this, and the CPU.

Solution