ATI Radeon HD 4670 help!

kyleis1337

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
So I purchased a ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card today and tried to install it. I first disabled my on-board graphics driver(s)/adapter (Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family) and then I powered off my computer, opened the case, installed the 4670 into the PCI Express slot and put the case back into it's place.

Then I turned on my computer and it was a 800x600 resolution. So I went into Device Manager and checked Display Adapters and I did not see the Radeon. So I opened the CD/DVD drive and inserted the CD that came with the graphics card. Then I ran the installation and it said "Installation complete. Errors have occurred" (or something to that effect). So I was like wtf I'm pissed since this is the second card I have tried (previous being an Nvidia). And I'm not sure if I needed to plug the DVI cable for my monitor into the card so I did that and restarted and nothing showed (however I did hear the fan running, so it does have power). So then I plugged in the standard VGA into the adapter thing that came with it (that you plug in a VGA and then you plug the adapter into the card outputting a DVI signal thingy??), got nothing. So then I plugged the VGA into the one that is not on the card but on the computer itself. Then display showed (again, in 800x600). I am sure that the card is physically installed properly as I hear the fan running, and see it running. I also might add that the graphics card does not require additional power as it gets its power via the PCI Express port.

Please, PLEASE help me as to what I am doing wrong.

The Nvidia 9600 GSO did not work because the motherboard did not detect it (according to Geek Squad @ Best Buy). I am afraid that might be the problem of this one too. But I really want a good graphics card to work in my computer.

Computer Specs:

Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz (5.00 total GHz)
6.00 GB ram
Windows Vista 64-bit (does that matter?)

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
Click on the link below, download the driver package but do not install.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.37&lang=English&rev=9.2&ostype=Windows%20Vista%20-%2064-Bit%20Edition

Once downloaded, go to your control panel and browse to the programs selection, scroll down through the list of programs and uninstall the graphics driver/software for your onboard chip. It should prompt for a restart. On boot up enter into the bios setup utility (probably the f1 or delete key), locate to onboard devices or pci devices options menu, then locate your ONBOARD graphics chip and select disable, then save and exit the bios setup.

Once you log back into windows start the driver installation.

The link i gave you is a specific driver package for windows-64bit.

kyleis1337

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try that but I have already disabled the onboard chip.

Edit: I downloaded that and ran it after I did what you said and it installed a thing that looked like the same program on the disc. It did not do anything though :(.

Is it possible I need to update my bios? If so, how? And the graphics card is not showing up in the Device Manager.

*you should be using "Catalyst Software Suite (64 bit) English Only version 9.2"

Some suggestions, not in order:
1) Try a newer Linux Live CD (boots from CD). Not certain about your card though as its so new.
2) try card in another PC
3) Reinstall Windows (or just swap in a blank hard drive and put on Windows + video drivers). If you've gone 2 years I highly recommend reinstalling Windows. I recommend Acronis True Image and backup your Windows/C-Drive just in case you forget some important data.
4) double check all drivers are correct. Only the main boards chipset and video drivers should affect you getting incorrect video
5) worst case, try another PCIe card if you can borrow one.

the order in adding a new card is always:
0) Download latest drivers for new card (in advance)
1) uninstall video drivers
2) reboot to BIOS (onboard), or turn OFF (physical card)
3) BIOS and disable onboard graphics OR remove physical card
4) turn OFF (onboard only)
5) Insert NEW graphics card in main PCIe slot
6) turn ON
7) IGNORE/CLOSE any request to update software
8) Install drivers (usually download version as CD's out of date)
9) REBOOT
10) adjust resolution etc.
11) BENCHMARK (3DMark2001 etc. and write down scores)

Other:
- Microsoft Update may try to install incorrect drivers (Optional anyway but not recommended)
- for HDTV, VGA is required to change resolutions (for games) unless you have a "PC-HDMI" input on HDTV
- the audio aspect of new video cards is often confusing. Most HDMI audio is "passthrough" only from movies. Basically ignore these and use your audio chip/card.
-K-Lite 4.70 Standard or Full + HC-WMPC via DXVA can use your onboard video decoders for major offload of CPU (i.e. "Hellboy 2" 1080p @55% CPU down to 3% in XP or 65%/14% in Vista. 95%+ of the "BD/HD rips" work)

When asking for help of this sort you should list your main hardware and OS; typically your MB, CPU, RAM, Video card(s), audio (card only) and PSU. No need for everything unless it is relevent. You can make it your "signature" at many sites to prevent retyping. Make a Notepad file so you can Copy/Paste easily if you have many sites. Here's an example.

-Asus A8N-SLI Premium (NForce 4)
-AMD X2-4800+ (S939)
-4GB DDR3200@400MHz (4x1GB)
-Gigabyte HD3870 512MB
-Creative Audigy 2 (PCI)
-Ultra X2 550W PSU
-Vista Premium x64, XP Pro (dual boot)

kyleis1337

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Well, I have done many things and my PC is new and I have nothing on the hard drive really thats not perishable and I can reset or whatever it. But I have done what you did. I will try the card on my other computer soon.

kyleis1337

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Well, Windows was pre-installed and I doubt it is the problem, but it may be. Please add me on msn. I've sent you a PM with my email. We can talk there :).

kyleis1337

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Yea that's really helpful. You would think I already did that...................................I did. It didn't work. That's why I came here. Read the damn thread.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
1.i have this as a rule, everytime i get a chance to get a new Radeon i make sure i get all the proper updates for my OS. are you on the latest service pack?

2. pull the cmos battery out of that board, or if it does have a cmos reset button push that.

then do the steps listed by photon boy. but if im not mistaken, i didnt do any bios tinkering when i installed a 4670 on an ecs g31 board + e5200.

The proper response here is, "I did try that, thank you"
You ask for opinions, even begged if I recall, "please, please"
We understand your frustration, but this kind of rudeness is uncalled for and completely unacceptable.