ATI Radeon HD 4770 Info Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Good I can't wait for the prices to drop even more so I could afford to do sli with my 9800gt 1gb.

G

40 fps is fluid!
Anything below 20-25 becomes laggy and unplayable.
I'm sure you won't even notice the extra fps, but as a former ati fan, I can be happy to know it still holds the crown!

hannibal

Distinguished
Well now $99 is really coming the new middle range cards price segment. Let's hope that allso entry level $35-50 will see some speed up. Because it's those cards that define the main game development because they are the most selled cards around (after integrated graphics of course...)

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Seems nice. The proof of course is always in the benchmarks (and finding out how much headroom it has as a new 40nm part).

Also have to wonder how hot and loud it runs since it advertises more performance per watt and is on a smaller process while still having a double slot cooling mech.

Either way filling in brackets and increasing competitive pressure is usually a win for us consumers. :)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Why don't GPU's follow CPU scaling? CPUs went from 65-45nm, but GPUs went from 65-55-40nm? Wouldn't it make sense (especially since AMD/GlobalFoundry produces both CPUs and GPUs) to use the same process?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i know the article ceases to mention this, but this is a replacement for the 4830, and you would think the 4830 is better than the 4770, but they're about the same..4770 might be a little better cause of the gddr5

i think ati is learning naming schemes from nvidia =[

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i know the article ceases to mention this, but this is a replacement for the 4830, and you would think the 4830 is better than the 4770, but they're about the same..4770 might be a little better cause of the gddr5i think ati is learning naming schemes from nvidia =[[/citation]
From what I hear they're retiring the 4830 and at least they went backwards on the numbering... shouldn't be many confused souls out there trying to upgrade from a 4830 to a 4770 (which may or may not be an upgrade) I'd rather this than they rebadge a 3870 as a 4820 or whatever (That'd be closer to what nvidia has been doing)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]1. it looks like a linear move from the 4830, not a real upgrade (although both are excellent cards)2. does anyone really care about DX10.0 with DX 11 around the corner?[/citation]

1. yes, its supposed to be linear, but with a lesser power requirement i think

2. i don't think dx11 will catch on as fast as people think...maybe one or two games to set the bar, but it really has to be something to overtake dx9, which dx10 cudn't do

JustinHD81

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I think the editor should have a good look at the article before publishing it....there's just a few too many mistakes for this article to be worthy of Tomshardware's usually good quality. RV470 anyone? simple mistake, but a very large one RV740 will be the HD4770 and HD4750.

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
This 4770 sounds interesting with the 40nm process, I might pick one up just because it's the first on 40 nm not to say that it beats by far anything from Nvidia in the same price range.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Excellent card. Should bring the prices of othercards down too.
Moving to 40nm process would mean a reduction in price of current gen cards in a month or two after its release, which is good for me coz I am thinking of buying 4870 or 260. Let's see what happens.

DX11-> I don't think it would catch on before a few years. So, 4870 or 260 FTW..

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
A card of this caliber at $99... I remember when Sims 2 first came out, I bought my first ever hardware upgrade for my now 5-year-old HP with 256MB of RAM and integrated 800 series Intel GPU (and not an AGP or PCI-E to be found). It was an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 256MB, PCI edition: $99. I salvaged two 512MB sticks of RAM from a similar, older (and dead) computer I had sitting around to help out.
I knew enough about computers to know it would work, and it did; and it made Sims 2 playable at reasonable framerates, though it still skipped here and there. Heck, it even played UT2004 at good framerates.
On a 1024x768 15" LCD monitor that came with the computer. Back then, I didn't know sites like this even existed.
It still serves EVE Online playing purposes to this day at playable framerates (read: 10fps average, OK for a MMORPG where twitch-gameplay is not necessary and with my less-than-stellar reflexes wouldn't have made a difference anyway, except visually) until I graduate from high school and have time to get a part-time job to buy something a little more recent. This card sounds to be a good idea for that project.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Innovation vs. Rebranding ... got to love that photo :). But hey if applying a new sticker works for Nvidia cudos to them. Ultimately it's up to us to choose what part we put in our systems.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ProDigit80[/nom]40 fps is fluid!Anything below 20-25 becomes laggy and unplayable.I'm sure you won't even notice the extra fps, but as a former ati fan, I can be happy to know it still holds the crown![/citation]

...old people :\

anything below 60fps becomes laggy. although playable, it hurts ur ability to play the game. ur fps should be higher than ur monitor's refresh rate to keep the smooth feel as a minimum requirement. just like vsync should be off. all of these factors change ur aim while playing.

granted, i'm in the minority as a high level fps gamer....
first time poster, long time reader ==]:^{)>

gallinazo

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
It sounds fine and dandy, but.....I would be more interested on getting some possible info about hd 5800 series.
Those things have taken damn too long to appear, it about time for a new ati generation.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
Well, this is great and all, but how old is the 9800? like a year? not really comparable for price when the 9800's been out for so long.
Even tho Ati IS much cheaper all the time, Nvidia will make their competitor soon, worry :)

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
personally I'm hopping ATI/AMD will come out with a newer, more impressive line up of low profile cards. I feel like that is one part of the industry that hasn't really been tapped yet. The best they have out right now is an hd 4650 which is no slouch(especially at $55 on newegg), but i can only find a few manufacturers with it. With AMD's recent push with on-board graphics on the 780g and 790gx you would think they were making leaps and strides with shrinking the package down and handling heat better. Yes i realize those integrated are hd3300 gpus, but we are compairing integrated vs a discreet card solution. Hopefully this new 40nm tech will lead to that, as using my htpc for some good gaming on high settings on my 52'' would definently be a good thing.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Why don't GPU's follow CPU scaling? CPUs went from 65-45nm, but GPUs went from 65-55-40nm? Wouldn't it make sense (especially since AMD/GlobalFoundry produces both CPUs and GPUs) to use the same process?[/citation]
Good question. I don't get why you where so heavy thumbed down.

In fact, I has heard that future video chips will have a smaller size than CPUs, but probably today, GPU uses discarded CPU factories equipment, to reduce costs.

also, many governments subsidize chips factories (like Germany, or China), so it makes sense to let them waste money and risk on expensive factories, and concentrate on design effort (Nvidia way).

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]Good question. I don't get why you where so heavy thumbed down.[/citation]I thought AMD manufactured their GPUs in TSMC instead of their own CPU facilities...

Status
Not open for further replies.