ATI Radeon HD 5670 doesnt work with 20 pin power?

abhishek47

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hello,
I'm having a HD5670 card and I'm using two psu's at the moment 400w and 250w. My PC doesn't post some of the times. It works after a lot of hard work. My PSu has a 20pin mobo cable. would it help if i add a 20 to 24 converter? as i read in some website that the remaining 4 pins give extra power for the pci-e card. Seems too obvious but is it becoz the power supply is too low?
Please help.
Thanks in advance. :)

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Yes, more information as to what components you are using to better gauge how much power they need.

In general, the fact you are using two PSUs to power your computer is a bit alarming, I would recommend you get a new single PSU that has all the power pins you need built in to it.

abhishek47

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
@mtyermom and @paperfox

Thank you so much for replying to my query. :)

Sorry for replying so late.

As far as the components list goes. its something like this...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ ~2.2Ghz
1024 MB RAM (2X512MB DDR 400) (Dynet, This is some local made RAM i think :-S but since >2 yrs or so it never gave any kind of problem)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
Asus A8V-VM-SE / MSI K8NGM2-H (I'm currently using the Asus board coz only this one gives a post, the MSI one doesn't run the pci-e card at all.)
Hipro 250W PSU + Intex 400W PSU (the intex one is again a local made PSU :-SS )
Seagate ST3160215AS 160GB SATA HDD
LG GH22NS50 SATA DVD Rewriter
Windows 7 Ultimate

I'ld like to describe what all i've done till now. so it'll be easy for you to come to a conclusion.

Initially i tried running the ATI card on my MSI board, it did not give a POST (Thru the Ext card and the internal card).
WIth the PC on, when i tried uninstalling the ATI card, the onboard card gave a signal to the monitor and was running fine. This doesn't happen right all the time though. I had to remove the CMOS cell, clear the CMOS, and after a few iterations, it would work. (But all the time, the ATI card never gave a signal to the monitor, only the onboard one used to do that)

I've read recently somewhere in some forum about this MSI K8NGM2 board giving problems in being backward compatible with pci-e v2.0 cards (I wish they could make a new BIOS which would help me run the card in this board :( )

Then i installed the ATI card on my Asus board. This time it gave a signal to the monitor and everything was running properly but not all of the times. Even here, i had to play with the CMOS a bit to get it started. At least it was not so tiresome as with the last board.

All these attempts i made were done with components placed outside the case. I double checked all the connections and if the card was being seated properly. I used two PSU's with the Asus board only becoz i thought i would power up the mobo with the 400w thing and the remaining components with the 250W psu. During initial testing with the boards, i only had the mobo with the processor and the ATI card running.

I've also read on this - " http://www.thinkcomputers.org/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-5670-1gb-video-card-review/3/ " website's review that the ATI card recommends 500w with that components. I maybe wrong but now that i don't have those components, wouldn't it mean that i can do with a 400W psu? All i'm eyeing on right now is the pci-e version incompatibility issue. What do you feel?

If i had to change the mobo, the CPU goes, then goes the RAM, then the case and the PSU. Its as good as making a new PC. I don't wanna buy everything all over again. I would be really happy if i could make the ATI card work all the time on this config itself, at least for some more months.

This is the first time i bought an ATI card reading all the benchmarks and reviews doing really good.
The performance its giving is great but I'm also dissatisfied abt the ATI's not having the inbuilt ability to add custom resolutions and Digital Vibrance Control. Both the options were extremely helpful for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

osiguy

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
What you're running is a franken computer.

I don't know how old your mother board or cpu are but I would reccomend getting a new mobo, cpu, and PS.

You would want 400 watts in your PS minimally from what I've seen. The Sapphire 5670 has a 3rd party cooling system which draws more power than a stock ati fan does. It keeps the system a lot cooler but that means higher wattage in usage.

If you ever plan on updating anything else you're going to need to step up a PS anyway.
If you increase the quality and performance if you're like the rest of us, you'll sooner or later want to increase the performance and quality of your motherboard and ram and cpu as well. ( i just did this to a tune of about 1600.

You may not be an uuber geek like me but for 180 at tigerdirect you can get a hell of a nice 950 watt coolmax PS or for about 160 get a very nice corsair 750 watt PS and both are modular so you don't have the extra clutter of power cables that you don't need.
Just something to think about.

abhishek47

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Hmmm, ya you're right.. but i was actually expecting some workaround so that i could use this setup to run the new ati card. :kaola:
I think its not the PSU issue that's causing the no-POST. I'm thinking it's for sure the pci-e version incompatibility issue. Sad that i didn't find out completely abt that coz everywhere i looked at, i only saw pci-e v2.0 cards to be backward compatible to v1.0 or 1.0a slots :(

fpoama

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I just installed a Sapphire 5670 512mb into my computer which has a v1 slot and everything is working fine. Though I replaced the stock 300w psu with a corsair 400w. Like others have said, I think it may have to do with your double psu situation.

abhishek47

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Oh is it? Can you give me a little more info on your system configuration please. Well you are lucky that your setup is working i'm happy for it. :)

I was thinking of upgrading to a better configuration.