ATI Radeon HD 5970 2GB: The World's Fastest Graphics Card

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

I'm Canadian, I have plenty reasons to hate FOX news. While FOX may or may not report decent news, they are heavily biased. Neutral news is important so the people can make their own conclusions.
I'm at -7 now...

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I am not an ati fanboy, but it's good to see a single card that can deliver good graphics instead of crossfire/sli stuff. That should have died with 3dfx!

randomizer

Champion

There are plurals in your post. Minimum framerate is all about the singular. It tells you about one single frame, and nothing else in the entire benchmark run. It does not tell you about "situations", it tells you about one situation that is only one frame long and you can not possibly notice one slow frame. This is not to say that the framerate is not low for several frames on succession, which would be noticeable, but such information requires that you know the rest of the data set, and minmum framerate ignores the entire dataset except for the slowest frame. Maximum framerate is the same, but it's the fastest frame.

Average framerate does not tell you worst case or best case scenario, but because it takes into account the whole data set, it provides meaning beyond one frame.

surda

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
the funny thing is that Nvidia top GPU cant run games at 2560x1600 due to the lack of Ram hahahaha and that is their top flag gpu

in the other hand 5970 can run games at 5760x1200 with a high frame rate, lower power, and Directx11, it cant get better than that...

G

missing HDMI outputs, i'm kinda worried what if you get a LED HD tv and wanna try it out...

i know it might be asking too much.. but they could have figured something out..

nice review bro

G

To those saying Nvidia is just releasing low end dead end stuff really.... Get off it Nvidia released some low profile lower power card because thats a segment of the market that is somewhat suffering for graphics power, most of the current low profile cards suck eggs. Also while the card may be great and all I'm somewhat skeptical on anything from ati, They are more prone to video problems, overheating, and ATI still as not properly supported OpenGL with the 4xxx series (Yeah not everyone uses that API but when its used its nice to have it work right) The GTX 300 series will come out from Nvidia but they arnt going to rush and get it out the door they want to make sure their product is done right and to right proper drivers and the like and get support going better for it unlike ATI who will just churn out the same stuff over and over.

I'm not on either side here but my experience with ATi has been rather poor so i've stuck with Nvidia, I also deal with tech issues alot with people that have ATI cards in a game that i am a mentor in.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
It nudges ahead of the 295 but not as much as it should be since it is next generation architecture. Go ahead and lay down the cash for this so we can have a good laugh when Nvidia smokes this card. Nvidia is actually in a nice spot now since they will know exactly what their competition has on the market. The "crash" and "not compatible" results would be a concern to anyone that had a brain in their head.

ZakTheEvil

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]jeffredo[/nom]Whether you like Nvidia or not you better hope they pull a rabbit out of their hat soon or "price creep" is going to get these new graphics cards less and less affordable. Competition is what let us all upgrade for cheap this past year.[/citation]

Yeah, ATI just beat Nvidia technology that's nearly a year old. You understand that whatever Nvidia comes up with next will walk all over this, right? ATI and Nvidia has been playing this game for years. I really find it funny how people get excited when ATI beats Nvidia and vice versa. I'm actually worried, I don't like the trend of $600 top-of-the-line video cards.

Zak

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Amazing that $600 and two years later, the biggest and baddest gpu solution still can't reach a steady 60fps in Crysis, with no AA/AF at a modest 16:10 resolution. I think part of that is CPU limited though. Too bad they couldn't patch in some more core optimization for that game.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Chris, I ask you to stay neutral in your reviews. Toms is a reputable news and reviews source, unlike FOX, and it would be best if it stayed that way. ...Why'd I get a -1?[/citation]

Wow, I didn't think it was possible for a douche bag to bring politics into a VIDEO CARD REVIEW!

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]Thus.... the shattered dreams of Nvidia and its GT210, 220, 240... haha.What a time to release such low end dead end variants... the last life of the 200series chips can now be engulfed by the HD5970... THis card looks like it would smash through the GTX295 easily and is DX11 plus plus blah blah Nvidia is sweating it out as they have lost a lump of market share as they did not ride the Christmas wave... Ive said it again and again don't you guys think Nvidia should discount their cards heavily already?!?I hope fermi can even compare to this dual gpu... Deep down I now doubt Nvidias GTX380 or whatever can even compare to this dual GPU, they would have to compare it now with a dual GTX300 series in my opinion at the rate that ATi has vastly improved from their previous 4850-90s, to the x2's...[/citation]

nVidia isn't discounting their cards because they're already losing money from the GTX 200 series. You actually may see prices go up, or stay the same at best, as stock for the End of Life'd 260, 275, and 285 decreases.

It's actually a bad holiday season for graphics, given that nVidia has given up on its GTX 200 cards and ATI can't come up with the supply to meet demand. Even if they could, prices would likely stay at elevated levels due to the lack of competition at the high-end now.

I won't seriously consider buying a graphics card until nVidia's cards are out on the table. At worst I'll end up getting exactly what I planned to get anyways (a Radeon 5850) at the original price of $260. At best the tides will turn once again, yields will be up, and costs will be down.

ATI's products are certainly exciting, but we're only seeing one half of the story. I'm not convinced Fermi will put serious pressure on ATI, but it certainly has potential.

G

I just ordered a 5970 ATI card with my new PC. This is running a new i7 motherboard with a Intel 960 overclocked chipset so am keen to run this up in the next 2 weeks.
I not biased to either NVIDIA or ATI but have found there has been no substantial improvements in NVIDIA technology since the 8800 series...
I had a 8800gtx card which was a massive leap in graphic technology.(Superceded by a 8800 gts which I stil use today on my legacy game collection).
Since then NVIDIA don't seem to have created a card worthy of buying with extreme performance but tend to cost a small fortune.

My last card I purchased was ATI 4870 X2 and performance is still outstanding on my old quad 6600.

On a personal note I have found that visual output of ATI cards appear more 'vibrant'and the NVIDIA cards appear more 'washed out'. I have noted this since my AGP 7800 days...
I hope NVIDIA do start producing better cards/value for money as the more competition we have the far greater the chance of price reduction for us the consumer.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]...They are more prone to video problems, overheating, and ATI still as not properly supported OpenGL with the 4xxx series (Yeah not everyone uses that API but when its used its nice to have it work right)...[/citation]

You are making up those video/overheating problems.

About OpenGL performance. Following site checked some old OpenGL games. You can pretty much see how ATI crushes nvidia with OpenGL titles:

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=12436&page=6

Get your facts straight before you start flaming ATI cards.

jbjtkbw00

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
This is great stuff! Now to replace my dual 4870 X2's with 2 of these babies. Not practical, I know. I like my bragging rights around the office, however.

Diverse

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
For all you smart cats out there, how much does it cost to make a video card (a single unit)? Im looking at some of these prices and they are just insane. 600 dollars? I mean come on, you can build a mid level system with that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.