ATI Radeon HD4800 Overheating

Adam Daniells

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
So for about 5 months I've been having some problems with my graphics card over heating, It use to be fine then one day it just started heating up to 110 Celsius and shutting off, as of right now it's sitting on 60 with only the browser open, Nothing has changed with my case/fans.

Solution
Well a few weeks back oddly enough, I had to look at a 4870 card.

Anyway after a bit of a poke around it was found that the fan or is bush bearing was worn.
Although the fan was spinning it could not spin at its maximum speed.

In the end I replaced it with a new fan that you can get from e-bay.

And also took the cooler off and cleaned all the thermal paste off the gpu die and added some Mx -5 thermal paste. Gave the heat sink a good dusting.

And it was a happy bunny at about 64c.

I suggest you do the same. The thermal shutdown for a 4800 series card is 110 c.

Adam Daniells

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014

I've checked for dust and anything that might be stopping the fan from spinning and it's fine.

Well a few weeks back oddly enough, I had to look at a 4870 card.

Anyway after a bit of a poke around it was found that the fan or is bush bearing was worn.
Although the fan was spinning it could not spin at its maximum speed.

In the end I replaced it with a new fan that you can get from e-bay.

And also took the cooler off and cleaned all the thermal paste off the gpu die and added some Mx -5 thermal paste. Gave the heat sink a good dusting.

And it was a happy bunny at about 64c.

I suggest you do the same. The thermal shutdown for a 4800 series card is 110 c.

Solution