Question Ati Radeon R9 270x Upgrade issue Windows 10

Feb 27, 2020
Evening all.

I'm currentlly upgrading my graphics card from an ATI Radeon HD5770 to an Ati Radeon R9 270X 4GB . The current drivers support the older card and all attempts to install the drivers for the upgraded card prior to install fail. trying to boot the pc with the new card gives me a black screen instead of the windows login screen which works fine with the old card.

Will I need to rebuild windows 10 to get the Graphics card working properly or can I force th drive install in some way as trhe card is second hand and didn't come with the Oem install disks?

Thanks for the help

Drew

Feb 27, 2020
That's the driver I am trying to install.

Bios has been updated for the motherboard.

Motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Socket 1151
Psu is winpower adk-750

Feb 27, 2020
Where did this R9 270x come from?
Bought it from CEX as I figured it would be a better bet than getting it off a random on Ebay & it comes with a 2 year warranty. The original card has now completely died so I guess I will need to create a liveboot usb to ensure the card isn't Doa. Hardware engineer by trade so used Esd protection when swapping the cards around.

Over 35 years I've changed out truckloads of hardware, almost literally, and I've never once ever used any kind of ESD protection, and have never once had any kind of problem with damaged hardware from ESD. Common sense and discharging yourself on a lamp or other item prior to handling the hardware after moving across carpeted floors is just good sense.

So I doubt that had anything to do with your problems.

Was the card new or used?

Feb 27, 2020
Used card but sure it's a driver issue as it shows the post splash screen fine along with the windows repair screen but doesn't show the windows login as the correct driver hasn't been installed. Will prob need to reinstall so glad the system hasn't been customised too much with additonal software.

Can you boot to the desktop using Safe mode?

If so, try Safe mode with networking, then download the Display driver uninstaller. Run it for AMD and if there has ever been an Nvidia or Intel display adapter installed or in use, then run it a second time for those as well. Then download the latest AMD driver for your card model from the AMD website, restart the system and then if you can get back to the desktop using the native driver, do so and install the latest driver.

If not, but if you CAN get back to the desktop by again running it in safe mode, then do so and install the latest driver that way and then restart the system and see if it will POST and boot to Windows.

Also, it might actually be worth it to first try doing a hard reset of the BIOS to reconfigure the hardware tables.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Feb 27, 2020
Think it might be an issue with the card as I did a clean install of windows 10 with the latest usb key installer from Microsoft and any attempt to upgrade the driver causes the screen to go black and the pc to completely hang. I've tried installing via the installer and also within device manager and each time it does the same thing. Dont think a hard reset of the MB will make any difference.

No, it probably won't, but it's free and takes like 7 minutes, so it is worth the effort to at least try it. I assure, worse case scenarios than yours have resulted with success from having done so. And on many more it did nothing to help. But again, it's easy, and free, so the small chance it worth the attempt.

It is a last ditch to avoid acknowledging that the card is faulty.

TRENDING THREADS