ATI Radeon X1550 upgrade

DKoblivion

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hello, I really don't know much about graphic cards I have an ATI Radeon x1550 my motherboard is a PCI-EXPRESS my question is what would be a good upgrade that fits my computer for good gaming?

Solution
Ok i'm back from a couple of days with connection issues and did some digging to find u a good upgrade .

First about the games u mentioned , Crysis needs the highest requirements of those two and you have everything but the GPU already so that's good news !

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista), Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista), AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or better
RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or better
VRAM: 256MB of Graphics Memory <= Video RAM
Storage: 15GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
ODD: DVD-ROM
OS: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Vista
DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

To see what GPU u...

Yump

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
To answer u correctly you need to submit your Computer specifications and some games you might like to play

You can use the DirectX Diagnostic Tool integrated in your Operating System.

DirectX runs in the background and knows your system specs.

To run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

To do this:

Step One: Click Start, and select the menu item Run

Step Two: In the Run dialog box, type: dxdiag

Step Three: Click Ok

You will then be presented with a dialog window asking you

to download new WHQL certificates from the Internet, as in

the screenshot below:

xdiagsml.gif

I don't think you need it right now so you can choose No .

After you click the YES or NO button, the DirectX Diagnostic Tool will load and you will be presented with a window as in the screenshot below

xdiag2sml.gif

The thing we are after is your specifications so hit the "Save All Information" and save DxDiag as a txt file to your Desktop .

dxdiaginfo.png

Now copy only the relevant System Information part and paste it in your next reply like this ...

------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (5.2, Build 3790) Service Pack 2, v.2825 (3790.srv03_sp2_rc.061103-1303)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: X58A-UD7
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Xeon processor (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 6142MB RAM

I'm fairly new to this board so i hope the images show in a suitable fashion .

DKoblivion

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Thanks for the tutorial here is my system information:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: PCCHIPS
System Model: P17G
BIOS:Default System BIOS
Processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM

Yump

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Ok i'm back from a couple of days with connection issues and did some digging to find u a good upgrade .

First about the games u mentioned , Crysis needs the highest requirements of those two and you have everything but the GPU already so that's good news !

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (3.2 GHz for Vista), Intel Core 2.0 GHz (2.2 GHz for Vista), AMD Athlon 2800+ (3200+ for Vista) or better
RAM: 1GB (1.5GB on Windows Vista)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Radeon X800 Pro for Vista) or better
VRAM: 256MB of Graphics Memory <= Video RAM
Storage: 15GB
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
ODD: DVD-ROM
OS: Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Vista
DirectX: DX9.0c or DX10

To see what GPU u can upgrade to we need to go with what you got .

Thats ur motherboard :

PCChips P17G/1333 Motherboard - Intel 945GC, Socket 775, MicroATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial ATA

P459-1235-out2-hl.jpg

This motherboard size is
Length: 9.598 in. (24.38 cm)
Width: 7.800 in. (20 cm)

A very nice GPU [vidcard] i found is the GeForce GTS 450 and thats 21 cm long plus 4 cm for the adapter and 2 PCI slots free in the back of your Case , that also means you gonna lose the abillity to use 1 of your PCI slots cause the GPU will cover that up .

EVGA GeForce GTS 450

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130572

Time to check inside your case to see if you have that room mate !

I have the same thing in my case and i don't need the extra PCI slot but i can't decide that for you so think about it .

Here is a site with images to show what i mean , the bottom pics show the back of a case and the inside with the card hanging in there .

http://bwone.com/evga-geforce-gts-450-unboxing/

Now you got one more issue to cross to get this card and that's the PSU [ Power Supply ] this baby needs a minimum of 400 Watts and specificly 22 Amps and i don't know what your using now , check that out ..there should be a sticker on your PSU stating brand and version and Wattage .

In case it doesn't fit the requirements you need a new PSU with that card .

And this is the best there is imo at a very reasonable price

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...MostWishedMore-_-17-139-026_3_CWsh_-_-1_32___

Well i hope this fits you expectations qua cost for your upgrade .. if not there are cheaper options by getting a card that doesn't need extra power like the :

ZOTAC GeForce GT 440

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500191

This is still a pretty good upgrade but not like the GTS450 ..

Whatever you decide let me know where you live so i can help you find a good deal :D

Solution

DKoblivion

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
thank you for your response, I currently have a Atx Acteck Blazar Power Supply 400w Sata 24p Af-b400e i looked for the amp on the box and on the website i have no idea what amp it has XD...

The EVGA GeForce GTS 450 i really dont need the extra PCI slot so i will be buying that one.
Thank you for taking the time to look it up i really appreciate it. ^^

DKoblivion

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Thank you for your response, I currently have a Atx Acteck Blazar Power Supply 400w Sata 24p Af-b400e, I looked for the amp on the box and on the website i have no idea what amp it has XD...

The EVGA GeForce GTS 450 i really dont need the extra PCI slot so i will be buying that one.
As for the PSU i will look in to it more to see if it has what it needs, if not i will have to buy the PSU as well.

Thank you for taking the time to look it up i really appreciate it. ^^