ATi radeon2 is really the Nvidia Killer !!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i read the news today and well all read:

-----------
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/21040103.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/21040103.htm</A>
-----------

ATI's Radeon 2

Time to tell that story
By Fuad Abazovic, 21 April 2001 11.29 BST

NOW WE can share our information about the future ATI card based on the R200 chip, also known as the Radeon 2. You all know how hard is to make a brand name and ATI certainly created a good one with Radeon. The Radeon name, whether it uses the Arabic 2 or Roman II, will follow the next product. At this point it is very hard to talk about detailed specifications, especially about clock and memory speeds but we will note some other interesting facts.

Radeon is the first chip capable of doing DX8 but not with all the features, which leads us to believe that the Radeon 2 (Radeon II) and the new chip are going to be fully DirectX 8 compatible.

Of course this means that the chip will be programmable and should be a direct threat to the Graphzilla Nvidia Geforce 3 cards.

The other thing we will see on these cards is improved HyperZ technology, with the main task being to save a waste of bandwidth from the processing chip to memory.

ATI has very positive thinking about tile-based rendering as well and its way of thinking here is similar - that is to improve performance radically.

The Radeon 2 is almost finished and the drivers are 99 per cent ready to drive.

Availability of samples and the cards themselves is closer than anyone suspects. Watch this space. µ.

---------

Radeon2 could have Tile Based Rendering !!!!!!!!!! LOL nvidia sucks bad time !!!!! We could have a Radeon out before Q4 '01. Where nvidia delayed the card. DIE NVIDIA DIE

Leader of the Anti VIA-Nvidia Army

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately you do not understand that nVidia vs. ATi isn't at all like AMD vs. Intel, which is what you're making it sound like.

<b>NO ONE GIVES A [-peep-]. IF THE RADEON2 IS BETTER THEN WOOPIE DO WE WILL BUY IT.</b>

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, Griz its between ATi and Nvidia people. Geforce cards are crap. Image quality is 20x better then getting over 60fps.

Hey everyone lets go get a Geforce2 cards and play quake3 and Look at the crappy sky cause the texture compression doesn't works. Well tomvidia i'll never buy nvidia cards.

Long live Kyro, s3, ATi distory nvidia without mercy.

G

now that is better !!!

but I think they will not touch the Tile rendering...
maybe radeon 3 ???
well imagination needed 4 years to do a chip right !!
and they have too much patents on their side !
maybe some money from ati to imagination (royalties)
;)

let's hope that it is a nvidia crusher ...
(with low prices)

ati is even bigger than nvidia well it used to be ...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 04/21/01 07:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Remember ATi can make TBR happen. ATi did buy FireGL and ARTx. Maybe they had a TBR project and ATi finished it. ATi has a couple millions in reserve. Beside you can Say nvidia is out of date cuz they dont have TBR.

Radeon2 will be out in Q3 not Q4.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Rock on dude! I bought Quake3 just to sit and look at the sky, too!

From now on when someone asks you how fast your computer is, tell them your benchmark scores.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Wasn't the texture compression problem supposed to have been fixed in one of the later driver releases.

BTW, Matrox cards have better 2d quality than ATI cards. Also, Their TV out solution is better, especially for UK TV's which have scart sockets.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"Radeo will Distory the Geforce3 and it will be my next card"

why make predictions? lets find out and see. truthfully i wouldn't give a damn which one wins.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I suppose if I disagree, you will be pointing one of your imaginary v2 rockets from ww2 at my direction.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, im forcing wusy to use Tomahawk cruise missles.

Well the Radeon2 is reporting to be at 300core/600memory. With TBR, pixel shaders, HyperZ, HSR. Radeon is a very dangerous card.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Refresh or update my memory on what TBR is? Please. A 300mhz core indicates possibly onboard memory but 600mhz memory?? Who makes it? Unless.......Oh No! :frown: <b>RDRAM</b> :eek: ...

G

TBR = Tile-based Rendering

But tell me somebody... Is not TBR, HyperZ and hidden surface removal redundant, or even impossible? As I understand it, HSR is included in TBR, and HyperZ would have a hard time finding its place since TBR doesn't even use a Z-buffer.

Cheers,
Warden

===============
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history--with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. -Mitch Ratcliffe

G

I have one word for you, rcf, that is this: VAPOURWARE (or is that two?). It's useless going around saying the Radeon2 will be better than GeForce 3 without any actual evidence. Radeon 1 was supposed to be <i>much</i> faster than GeForce 2 but it isn't. Not with Detonator 3.

If you want to keep with the Intel/AMD comparisons, it's like saying the 760MP is faster than a dual P3 system. You just don't know until you try :)

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's correct. TBR does not use a Z-buffer and therefore I don't think one would be included.

TBR has been done before, in an old crappy offering from PowerVR a year and a half ago, called the Neon250. Unfortunately it sucked, in performance and graphics quality. So it will be quite interesting to see how ATi can pull together TBR and make it work.

G

that was the chip inside the dreamcast...(neon250)
was that bad ???
lol
I don't think so...

nec (didn't have time to produce for pc) they sold 10 millions neon250 for ARCADES (sega Naomi 1,2) and for dreamcast ;)
in terms of compatibility yeah they have some issues corrected with kyro 1 ( Now ST is the one that produces imagination chips)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 04/22/01 10:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I doubt that the RadeonII will be a TBR like the IMGTEC Kyro, maybe the RadeonII will have onboard static ram built into the chip like the GameCube. Possibly allowing strips or sections or tiles lets say of the frame buffer, texture buffer, hierarcialZ and Z buffers to be stored and then processed at a very fast speed to build a frame. Then the frame buffer is updated each time until the frame is complete. Explaining the projected (rumored) 300mhz GPU speed. Besides the Radeon already does tiling (ATI method) which are in the drivers. Now this explanation maybe worth as much as a number 2 along the highway. Just <b>speculating</b>. In other words no radical changes to the Radeon just very effective enhancements and programmable vertex shaders with an updated programmable pixel shader.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 04/22/01 10:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Isn't HSR (hidden surface removal) a general term that either software or hardware can perform so to find only the polygons that will be displayed and thus rendered only. In other words hierarchialZ is a hardware HSR solution while 3dfx was working on a software solution before their demise.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
LOL it was good in the dreamcast, where everything was specifically written for it. Hey, I still have the MaximumPC issue with the Neon250 review. It scored a 4 out of 10.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Grizely1/neon250.jpg" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/Grizely1/neon250.jpg</A>

piece of crap it is!

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

This page is not available.
We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing.
If this site belongs to you, please read this help page for more information and assistance

yah! right ...
we could also talk about riva128 from nvidia or even pre-riva chips from nvidia they were so cooolll...

what is the use to talk about the past.
we are in 2001 !!!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Grizely1/" target="_new">http://www.geocities.com/Grizely1/</A>

go there and click Neon250.jpg

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

G

Yes HSR is generic. It would be perfectly reasonable to say that TBR provides excellent HSR. rcf84 however was listing off HSR along with TBR like they were separate features. That is like saying your new car has a v-8 and a crankshaft. Duh! Redundant fluff to make it sound better.

Cheers,
Warden