ATI Readies OEM Special: Super RV770 To Challenge GeForce GTX 260, 280

Status
Not open for further replies.

puterpoweruser

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
They were holding the ace up their sleeve. They let nVidia get comfortable and have a failure of a product launch, the GT2xx series. Now they're just stomping all over them when they didn't even mean to. This might change the high end landscape as we know it. Think about a "high end" card only costing 400 dollars. Wouldn't that be nice if that were the case again ???

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
Wow. If the 4870 is pulling this off all by itself and supposedly beating the GTX 280 (I'll wait for some benches though), imagine what the 4870x2 will do at only $450, still being nearly $200 less than the defeated GTX 280 O_O

I love you ATI, and I have an 8800GT right now.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I will love to see the benchmarks for this.

The only thing I am a little worried about it, they are water cooled cards. I guess they just run too hot for air. But, at the end of the day, these are the cards I am waiting for.... now to wait for the OC 1GB versions.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
[citation][nom]puterpoweruser[/nom]Think about a "high end" card only costing 400 dollars. Wouldn't that be nice if that were the case again ???[/citation]
Back to the old Radeon 9800 days. I got the non pro version for like $250, and the pro version was the fastest there was for a little while. The pro version was around $400, depending on the retailer.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
this is amazing, from everthing i've read/heard, the 4000 series were awesome already imo! but...with this update? very very impressive :) can't wait to get my hands on them. super OC 4870 CF? :p wonder how the 4870x2 will be like given all this information.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spaztic7[/nom]The only thing I am a little worried about it, they are water cooled cards. I guess they just run too hot for air. [/citation]

Yep, you would propably burn your card totally with only air-cooling with these speeds, but it allso mean that if some retailers put some hefty heatpipe air-cooler to this card, it can give reasonable boost to the speed! And those who allready have water cooled parts in their PC will be happy with this product allready.

Darkstar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'd really like one of these to come with a waterblock already on them. That would save me a lot of trouble of buying the card, taking off the fan, buying the waterblock and installing it. I just really hope I can get one that doesn't come with "full water cooling solution" as I already have the other water cooling equipment.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Choices, Choices, Now I have no idea what I want to replace my 7900gs dinosaur sample with. lol, The days of 256mb cards. I think i gotta wait for a 1gb 4870.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well every team has something in their sleeves.
In near future it will be r700 and sripped down versions of 4000 series by ATI. Nvidia will pring those 55nm shrinks and soon after that sripped down versions of its 200 series (most propably in 55 nm) After that... who knows.
The development departments are allways looking something new... in both sides. Now when both companies have good cards, we may see faster development in the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.