ATI Readon 5670 > Nvidia gtx 460

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hi,

So I just installed the 460 but the graphics on Starcraft 2 are now worse than when I had the HD 5670. Why is that?

I don't know if this is relevant but I had to bend the *** out of the bottom part of the metal stubs sticking out of the 460 to fit it in the computer.

Solution
I feel bad for you that PSU is such a rip off.Priced at $70 and it's really worth $30.

The problem with that PSU is that it only has 25amps on the 12/v rail and that means it's only capable of delievering around 200~250 watts on the 12/v rail which is no where near what you need to power a GTX460.This is a common occurance with unreliable power supply makers such as HP that say it deleivers a certain amount but in actualuality it doesn't even deliever close to what they say.

Here's a really decent and reliable PSU.And it's Modular.

Antec 550watt Modular $65+$2 Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

EDIT:

By metal stubs I mean the brackets that hold the end sticking out of the computer with all the place for the outlets-no capicitors. I'm also downloading drivers from NVIDIA but it seems the same driver is available on the cd that came with the purchase, 270.61.

Oh yes, I also have 32 bit XP instaed of the stock VISTA.

Thats fine.As long as you didnt bend anything on the card it will work fine.

Also don't think that PSU can handle a GTX460.You should stop using the graphics card until you can buy a new one.

Basicly the card doesn't have enough power to run at it's full speed so it's downclocking to not burn itself out because of the lack of power.That is why it is performing worse than the 5670.

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Oh. That's kinda depressing- I bought that PSU just because I was upgrading the video card.

Can you recommend one for me? Cheapest as possible under 100? What about my current PSU isnt good (it's 550W).

I feel bad for you that PSU is such a rip off.Priced at $70 and it's really worth $30.

The problem with that PSU is that it only has 25amps on the 12/v rail and that means it's only capable of delievering around 200~250 watts on the 12/v rail which is no where near what you need to power a GTX460.This is a common occurance with unreliable power supply makers such as HP that say it deleivers a certain amount but in actualuality it doesn't even deliever close to what they say.

Here's a really decent and reliable PSU.And it's Modular.

Antec 550watt Modular $65+$2 Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Solution
A good quality 500W should be able to handle the GTX460 with ease. The 550W wattage rating doesn't mean much, anyone can slap a sticker on. The real question is how much power the PSU is actually able to deliver under load.

Could you perhaps grab GPU-Z from here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

and use it to see what your card does under full load conditions? Thus, does it achieve full clock speeds?

Your card really came with a cd with drivers that came out about 2 weeks ago?
Yeah, return that PSU if at all possible. This Antec Earthwatts 500w for $50 is a good deal and would be more than enough;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

It's actually $17 more including shipping. It's also a lower segment of Antec's lineup. The EA500D is higher efficiency with Bronze certification and has the same amount of power as the BP550 on the +12v rail despite the supposed 50w lower rating.

All my cables fit behind the side panel in my case just fine, it depends on your case i guess. Modular is good though and i would gladly take modular over non-modular. Just depends on what your willing to spend, if your on a strict budget, stick to standard good quality psu's like the antec mentioned above.

zekeke85

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Thanks a lot all.

One last question I have is once I get my PSU and vid card setup, what kind of monitor should I get?

I heard that the bigger the monitor the more demand on the video card so I want to get one where I can max out the settings on Starcraft 2 with my current specs.

Oh, while I'm at it, best RAM replacement?

Here's the specs:

Processor, Operating System and Memory
Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5600+ for TRUE multi-tasking
• 2.8GHz, 1MB + 1MB L2 Cache, 2000Hz System Bus
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430
Standard memory
3072GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB & 2x512MB for ultimate performance) (expandable to 8GB)
Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM
Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (occupied)
Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
500GB
Hard disk controller
SATA hard drive
Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)
Optical drive type
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Optical drive speed
16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW,, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM
System features
Memory card device
15in1 memory card reader
Modem
56k modem
Network interface
Ethernet 10/100/1000BT integrated network interface
Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 623MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Video RAM
128MB
Compatible interactive TV services
NTSC TV tuner, over-the-air ATSC high-definition television tuner, and FM tuner (antenna included)
Internal audio
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Keyboard
HP Keyboard
Handheld remote control
HP Media Center remote control with IR (infrared) receiver
External drive bays
2 external 5.25" (one available)
External I/O ports
6 USB 2.0 port(s), 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s), Microphone/Headphone; S-Video; Composite Video; Audio inputs (L & R), Microphone/Line-in/Line-out (back), 2 PS/2; Digital Audio-out; LAN; Rear speaker-out/Side speaker-out/Center (subwoofer); VGA-out;
Expansion slots
2 PCI slots (occupied), 1 PCI Express x16 slot slot(s) (occupied)
Software
Included/Pre-installed software
Microsoft® Internet Explorer 7.0; Windows Mail; Adobe® Reader 8.0
Software - education / reference / entertainment
Windows Media Center
Software - internet & online
Internet Solutions (Up to 3 months service included) * Bell Sympatico High Speed Internet * EastLink High Speed Internet Access * Netscape High Speed Internet Service * Netscape Accelerated Internet Service * Shaw High-Speed Internet Access
Software included
Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool; Symantec™ Norton Internet Security™ 2007 (60 days live update)
Dimensions / weight / warranty
Weight
13.80 kg
Package weight
20 kg
Dimensions (w x d x h)
192 x 420 x 385 mm
Package dimensions (W x D x H)
500 x 600 x 340 mm
Warranty Statement
Service Options: - Hardware: One year parts and labor from date of purchase - Software: 90 day technical toll-free phone assistance - Service Delivery: Customer Replaceable Parts; Return to hp for repair; Authorized Service Provider. For information, visit www.hp.ca/support

For RAM, 4-6gb is the most useful amount for gamers, but you also need a 64 bit OS to support more than 3.5 gigs.

Anyway with a GTX 460 you can run games at 1080p with high settings so basically you can get any monitor you want. But definitely the CPU will be a weak point for some games like Starcraft 2. If you can overclock it would help, although it seems like you have a prebuilt which usually lock you out of OCing.

This isn't quite true. The CPU can deliver a certain number of frames per second which he may consider inadequate but the GTX 460(once properly powered) will certainly let him max out the graphical settings in the game without decreasing what performance the CPU can actually give. It is true that SC2 specifically is quite CPU bound so if that is the main game the OP is interested in then a CPU upgrade is a good idea but yeah, it will require a new motherboard as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.