Ati says "no comment" on AMD's takeover

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32943

When you keep saying no comment to a big rumour...it means you were told you can't let te cat otf of the bag ...

when a rumour is ridicolous and can effect a companies share price...a company will shoot it down real quick.

Ati keeps saying "no comment" to this AMD takeover

however when rumours of INTEL taking over ATI...they shot that down the next day saying it was not happening..

not this time

seems like a done deal to me....

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

When you keep saying no comment to a big rumour...it means you were told you can't let te cat otf of the bag ...

when a rumour is ridicolous and can effect a companies share price...a company will shoot it down real quick.

however when rumours of INTEL taking over ATI...they shot that down the next day saying it was not happening..

not this time

Seems like a shot at nVidia to me. Thoguh why AMD would wnat to antagonize the company whose chipset got them where they are, I don't know.

This would be a bad move right now. AMD needs both chipset partners AND GPU partners. Not to mention all of the OEM that make mobos with both chipsets.

Maybe two years from now if ever but liek I kee syaing AMD is trying to make partners not destroy relationships

Reckless187

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006

not this time

Or it could mean that ATI are thinking this could be good for share prices, big company like AMD buying em out and loads more money being invested, so why deny it outright, why not let peoples imaginations get the better of them.

Or, and this might seem a bit crazy but maybe they are telling the truth.

Or maybe it's true & then start producing graphics cards that are optimised to run better on Amd cpu's & worse on Intel cpu's and, and....there goes my imagination again.

It'll be good to see what happens either way

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Seems like a shot at nVidia to me. Thoguh why AMD would wnat to antagonize the company whose chipset got them where they are, I don't know.

How again did nvidia's get AMD where they are now?? :roll:
AMD got themselves where they are now with great engineering, on top.

Maybe they plan to use their combined engineering skills to make their own chipsets and shut nvidia out. Although Im not sure if this is a smart idea, but think of the saving that could be had by not having to pay a 2nd party company for chipsets. Maybe this is the beginning of the end for video cards and a glimpse of gpu sockets.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Baron..... you are not looking at the big picture

you think GRAPHIC cards will be around forever?.....

with all this talk of 50 core Cpu's in 2010

With AMD working on CO PROCESSING so hard...

how hard would it be to make a multi-core CPU/GPU/PPU sometime in the future

If INTEL does that....and offers a fast total system solution in one chip....how could AMD compete with that.... it would be over for them

AMD is looking down the line with a ATI buy...

I hope it happens.... AMD needs this to happen

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Also .... buying Ati shuts out INTEL users from using Crossfire.

Intel doesnt support nvidias SLI anymore.

would make things hairy for INTEL users for high end gaming...they would have a faste CPU....but less game performance on the high end

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I can't see ATI wanting to merge with AMD.

Right now, ATI has a large market helped by the fierce competition between AMD and Intel. ATI graphics would become the winning solution on AMD systems because they would have the resources to fine tune the entire system. But, if they merge with AMD, they will effectively limit themselves to a company with 10-30% market share. Intel-ATI cooperation would be severely limited. Intel will not be keen to help ATI develop chipsets when the IP will then be used to make AMD chipsets. ATI graphics cards would still be compatible with Intel but without close cooperation, it would be very difficult to optimize performance to win the benchmarks. Crossfire would probably be dead on Intel platforms as it requires even tighter cooperation between CPU-chipset-GPUs to optimize the performance enough to win the benchmarks.

ATI would also not want to merge with AMD right when Intel is about to release a new processor that looks like it will drive a frenzy of high-end system builds in the coveted gamer/enthusiast market.

Also, an AMD-ATI merger will force Nvidia to snuggle up to Intel. AMD pays for the merger while Intel gets Nvidia for free. The resulting Intel-Nvidia cooperation could wind up locking ATI out of Intel-based systems. The same reason that made AMD-ATI the best system combination after a merger would apply to Intel-Nvidia as well. Nvidia would get the lion’s share of the grapics market by virtue of Intel’s market share.

Maybe, AMD wants to buy ATI's chipset unit. That might make some sense. ATI graphics could continue to build for both AMD and Intel. Still, Intel would probably feel betrayed and might not be as forthcoming with technical support. Intel has immense validation and support resources that ATI would hate to lose.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
your post is dead on .... enjoyed the read

but i am on the thinking that graphic cards as wee know it are going away...

one stop shop chips....andor GPU sockets co processing are coming....

AtiAMD can make a super system that INTEL would not be able to touch in performance.... Amd is building new fabs.. Ati would have free access...

Intel is going one stop shop CPU ...dont think they not...

GPU and CPU's will be merging.... what company wants to be out on thier own alone when it happens?

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have absolutely no idea if the rumor has any truth to it or not.
But I'm not prepared to ridicule poster LordPope over his speculation.
I hope all of you who are being so harsh and negative -- and so certain that it's NOT going to happen -- are prepared to apologize if you're proven wrong.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
this is just friendly discussion on the WHAT IF's if this does happen...

I think its very interesting talk...with alot of ramifications of it does happen...

people will attack certain threads because of fan boi-ism or agendas...but thats the nature of hardware forums....

sailer

Splendid
As for this "no comment" stuff, anyone remember the saying that "no comment" is a comment? I mean, if it was absolutely untrue, ATI would just deny it. Only if it was true, or at least negotiations were going on, but they didn't want to admit it, would they simply say "no comment".

We'll probably hear a lot more in the coming days or weeks, with the next round not being rumors, but confirmations. Then the speculations over what it all means and how it will affect future hardware production can really run rampant.

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If you look at the direction hardware is going I would think that the next evolution of chip is the integration of all processes on one chip. Think of how fast everything would run if all processes were on one chip. No more chipsets. You are saving money on the cost of continuously making better North and South bridges. Why not bypass that whole middle hardware circuit and just have everything on one chip? You could have a whole new generation of CPU's that only require one motherboard solution instead of worrying about which chipset to buy.

I also think one interesting thing that has happened is the Mac platform going to Intel. What is the primary graphics processor used in all Mac's today? ATI. Mac is gaining market share so ATI will have a contant growth in that arena. If they buy out ATI they will be able to not only create a revolutionary CPU but also continue to grow with the Mac platform. It would be interesting to see if Intel would try to squeeze Jobs into picking Nvidia if they have no choice but to join forces with Nvidia.

The Mac hardware solution is far superior to any PC platform simply because it is engineered hand in hand with the software and OS. Something that the PC platform will never be able to achieve. Intel knows this and that is why they partnered with Mac. Now they will always be alive no matter which way the market shifts.

On the PC side...if AMD makes an incredible solution it may change the PC industry and bring it to a whole new level. AMD does have incredible engineering power and I think they have more than smaller CPU dies on the horizon. They have probably been thinking about an integrated chip for years. Maybe they have finally decided to make the move towards a new way of thinking about the processor.

I really find all this speculation interesting. It is also fun to try and predict which way things will go. I follow hardware alot and sometimes I come up with ideas that may sound out to lunch by todays standards...but if you can't think outside the box then where are you going? Running around the box in any direction is way more fun!!!

Cheers!

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
we are thinking along the exact same lines my brother.

The PC as we know it...is going away

With all the talk of MULTI-CORES

Having GPUPPUCPU north n south bridges....all one on die is coming

it may take 22micron or lower to achieve it cost effectivly

buts its coming

AMD wants to be ready... Ati in house would really push the dare i say

OPU

OMNI PROCESSING UNIT