ATI still to produce the R9800 chip

According to the InQ it's still an attractive chip for the boardmakers, so ATI will still produce them.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21241" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21241</A>

Personally I think it's a bad idea and they should do more to flog their newer chips and thus cover development cost of them and the subsequent Rialto bridge, but I guess it's easier to simply keep pumping out the old chip that are tried and true than to risk money. Shortsighted IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
I'd sure like to see a bridged plain X800 solution priced around $200 street price. That would be nice for us, but also it would help ATI to regain that segment again. What I don't want to see is R430 delayed because 9800 pro's are still selling well at $200+ and will remain that price. If that's what this news is saying, that is bad to hear for us. :frown:

As far as the 9800 series cards go, I wouldn't mind seeing 9800 Pro 256-bit's stick around and fall to $150 though as it would fill the huge price/performance gap between 9600 Pro and GF6600GT. And even the 128-bit versions somehow being renamed and dropping to 9600 pro prices could come in handy too. If both remained available and dropped in price, we could stop recommomending used 9700 pro's to fill this gap that exists. Basically, I'm all for 9600 pros and 9800 pros dropping in price and remaining available, but I'd like to see the new bridge chips come out to fill the $200+ price points.

By the way, any word what ATI is up to in the future in the AGP value segment? R9550/R9600se/R9200/R9200Se - is there any news about whether these will stay? Is it possible R9600se/R9600/R9600 pro could become the value line or does it make more sense they will develope something new that is cheaper to produce for this value segment? I wouldn't mind seeing those three take over at 9200se/9200/9550 price points. Or at least keep the 9550, but make it the entry level card. It would be nice to have a full DX9 line from the bottom and up.(I like to dream about baragins)

Wouldn't you think that ATI will charge more for the AGP bridged cards than for the PCI-e versions like NV did with the 6600GT series? Makes sense that added cost should go to the consumer? But I hope it's a small $10-$20 added cost to cover production and not a huge $50 one to cover rialto R&D. I'd almost expect it to start out high say $250 list for a X800 AGP, so they can recover as much $ while folks are willing to pay it. Afterall, the 9800 pro's are really $250 cards in all the retial chains now (in the US).

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

cleeve

Illustrious
Personally, I think 9800 PROs could be fantastic and have even more longevity... if they offered them at the ~$150 price point they belong at. They'd be the next Ti4200 at that price.

At $200 they are a joke, when pitted against the 6600GT - which is better than a 9800XT...

Exactly. Like Pauldh said, if their price was more realistic it would make a great value midrange card. However I think that these board partners are selling them inregions where even the GF6600GT-AGP are still scarce so they're selling at a premium near or above usual GF6600GT-AGP prices. Against those they are sure to lose, but it depends on availability too.

It's just disheartening. I'd rather hear that they started accelerating the R420 production and were going to find efficiencies that moved the X800SE to the mid-range market, but this would make SENSE to their future plans, whereas making old-ass chips that have no future benifits and don't benifit other areas of the mix makes no sense at all IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: