PALIT GEFORCE 250GTS 1GB DISPLAY ADAPTER
ATI HD5750 1GB PCI EXPRESS DISPLAY ADAPTER
MSI GEFORCE 9800 1GB PCI EXPRESS DISPLAY ADAPTER

Basic purpose Movie Editing and gaming

Thanks

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
How does the graphics card affect movie editing? Editing is separate from converting.
ATI Avivo = Free
BaDaBoom = $$
PhysX is stressful for nVidia cards too, here's the difference between PhysX & DX11, Windows is the leading OS, every copy of Vista SP2 & Win 7 has DX11. Only a few games support PhysX. DX11 WILL be accepted in the future, PhysX MIGHT be.

TheVoid

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
ATi couldnt pay me enough to use their broken Avivo converter.

From Anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3578 :

" Certainly, for a free utility, we would not expect the same level of compatibility and quality as we would from a commercial application like Badaboom. But what we saw really didn't even deliver what we would expect even from a free application."

"In fact, only one file we tried to transcode came out with acceptable quality and it still had artifacts. There was color distortion, blur/softening of edges, and blocking artifacts."

Buggy software, you say? Couldnt possibly be a hardware problem, could it? Lets try some third party software, then.

"MediaShow Espresso is a software conversion tool that is similar to Badaboom in that it's purpose is to transcode video and that it can use GPU hardware acceleration. The big advantage, however, is that it can use either AMD or NVIDIA hardware in the transcode process.

"We attempted to encode three videos. While our watermellon transcoding worked perfectly fine on the CPU, guess what happened when we took a look at our AMD GPU accelerated output. That's right. Artifacts. Similar to what we saw with AVIVO Video Converter, but less severe. NVIDIA's image quality was much cleaner than the on AMD hardware using Espresso as well. This was encoding to MPEG-4 AVC and maintaining the same resolution from input to output.

"Armed with this data, it is clear that transcoding on AMD hardware is not ready for primetime"

Ah, but the AMD card is surely faster, no?

..............................Bruno Trailer..MacGyver DVD....Watermellon
Intel Core i7 965.......3:53...............6:43....................0:38
GTX 275...................1:56...............3:04....................0:12
Radeon 4890.............2:02..............8:41.....................0:31

So is there another "workaround" for this one?

I know which card I would pick for transcoding

Yes, i agree with you two guys, let the OP decided which card is most suitable for him... :)

Silicondoc, i write your name because i know for sure that u have different idea, and everyone knew that u are nvidia fanboy...
It just nice if we know opinions of different peoples... :)

Woah Silicondoc....
Maybe try and convey your opinions in a more mature manner and people might show you more respect.

You are probably right, a 9800GT would be better for Movie editing, and the HD5750 in DX11 mode will be slow (ish) Not everyone cares about PhsyX.

At the end of the day its the OP's decision and I think he would be happy with any of them.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
When a core is so good it can be modified for years on end and still beat everything ati and Intel can come up with you can whine rebrand all you want !
Did you really just compare intel graphics to nvidia? Of course its gonna beat intel.
Anyways, it depends on whether video editing or gaming means more to you.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I do believe he is talking about more than cutting and splicing.
See how poor ati cards are with what you typed in as programs and your ati fan "free" one - once again, you get what you pay for from ati. In that case nothing or worse.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3578
---
It is also true that the nvidia cards he mentioned can run PhysX quite well and are even recommended for doing so. Try Batman with either Nvidia card and you'll be very happy.
BUT - when it comes to the 5750, the dx11 implementations we've seen are a terrible strain for even a 5890 - check the vids on youtube with frame drops shown - less than half is not uncommon with tesselation on.
---
So if Dx11 eventually comes up with games that can use just one of it's touted features without stalling to a crawl the 5750, maybe the guy will be ok with far off games (quite doubtful but you never know- he probalby should spend $429 on the 5870 for that hope)- on the other hand the nvidia card already handles everything available he wants it for in his priced range.
---
So anyway, he has a right to make up his mind - now he has a link to see the differences and how superior the nvidia card is in video manipulation.

First of all, Batman is the most over-rated superhero, he's not even a superhero, he's a regular dude with lots of $$$ to buy cool gadgets, does this make Bill Gates a superhero? I think not. A real superhero could manipulate their cellular structure at will and pass through walls or become hard as a diamond, get it right! JEEZ!

Glad we got that out of the way, moving on...

Batman was built to be Physics-enhanced, it is proprietary to Nvidia!

I'll take my chances with the ATI series cards for now while ATI is fresh at work and Nvidia is delaying everything while making cartoons. Get your *** straight and quit being a fanboy!

Ps, this is a preemptive strike: I have used Nvidia cards in the recent past, so i am not partial to Nvidia or ATI, its just that ATI has WAY better/cheaper options out there, can you say that about Nvidia as they rebrand the 8800 (G92) to yet another name???

Sincerely, Your FACE!

WTF..... I was agreeing with you "You are probably right". Did you read that in my last post.

Don't start talking sh*t to me because you can't take some constructive criticism.

Hmmm.....yeah I'm a "big fat liar" How old are you? 10 perhaps?

How can I be a liar I'm Expressing my Opinions, not facts.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
NO, he wouldn't be happy at all with the ati card, it's video edit output is TERRIBLE and corrupted.

Why don't you be mature and face the facts instead of being a big fat liar ? Oh that's right, people respect liars. Thanks, I'm sure.

PEople respect liars, huh? You remember the trouble Nvidia had with it's PCB's? they were malfunctioning left and right for certain G92-based chips? Nvidia was not quick to admit that one... At one point, i think they even tried to issue a firmware fix for it, c'mon bro! liars???

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

he isnt right. a 9800gt or a 5750 will produce the same video quality while video editing.

you DONT NEED TO USE TRANSCODING TO EDIT VIDEOS.

Ooops My bad, in that case, my Vote is a HD5750.

Doesn't look like this thread is going anywhere, Just a FanBoi ranting on ....and on.... Wonder if the OP has come to a decision.

djtrailmixxx

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Well OP,

Ignore the Third party trans coding standalone crap. What application would you be using to perform your edits? Even in the digital realm there is still generational loss and every conversion introduces this. I use Vegas from my video tasks and it does a fine job. The IDEAL situation is that you complete your project and export to the final formats directly from that same editor. A little research on Adobe Premier shows that Nvidia may be the best option:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/performance/
I'm currently an ATI fan myself, I have my reasons that I'll keep to myself. What you need to do is look at what software products you use or will use and base your GPU purchase off of your editors acceleration support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS