ATI Wonder 9600 Audio Question

Hi Experts,

I recently purchased an ATI AIW 9600 Pro card, and am using it in a
new Gigabyte motherboard. I first connected the audio output to the
sound card embedded onto the motherboard. This worked OK for sound
from the system or CD. The sound quality was a little distorted when
I played back video/sound captured through the ATI card. I did a
System Compatibility Test with the ATI Mulitmedia Software, Ver 8.8
and it said that the sound card clock stability was greater than 0.2%.
It suggested getting a better sound card.

What I don't understand is that if the ATI already has an audio line
out, why do I need to have another sound card. Why can't I just use
my ATI line out for sound for everything? Is there a driver out there
that will allow me to do this?

I turned off the sound card on the motherboard through the BIOS,
hoping that the system would start using the ATI sound. This didn't
work, I did not get any sound out after this.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'd rather not have to
go out and fork over the cash for a sound card now.

Thanks in advance

Roger Zimmerman

Your ATI line out is only used when you are watching/capturing from inputs
on the card itself. For example, when watching TV with the card or
capturing with the analogue inputs on the card. The audio outputs on the
card allow you to hear what is coming in to the card from cable or the line
in. It does not output signals from the system or CDs. That is the job of
your sound board. Try lowering some of the levels on your Windows mixer and
see if that gets red of the distortion. It sounds to me like you might be
capturing your audio to high. Turn down the "line in" fader on your Windows
mixer in the 'recording' section. (in the mixer, choose options / properties
/ and choose the recording button.) The line in fader should be checked.
Turn it down and capture some more video with sound. I don't think the
distortion is happening during playback. It is happening during capturing.

Most onboard audio chips are quite adequate for playing back audio and video
files.

Sanman

"Roger Zimmerman" <roger.zimmerman@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Experts,
>
> I recently purchased an ATI AIW 9600 Pro card, and am using it in a
> new Gigabyte motherboard. I first connected the audio output to the
> sound card embedded onto the motherboard. This worked OK for sound
> from the system or CD. The sound quality was a little distorted when
> I played back video/sound captured through the ATI card. I did a
> System Compatibility Test with the ATI Mulitmedia Software, Ver 8.8
> and it said that the sound card clock stability was greater than 0.2%.
> It suggested getting a better sound card.
>
> What I don't understand is that if the ATI already has an audio line
> out, why do I need to have another sound card. Why can't I just use
> my ATI line out for sound for everything? Is there a driver out there
> that will allow me to do this?
>
> I turned off the sound card on the motherboard through the BIOS,
> hoping that the system would start using the ATI sound. This didn't
> work, I did not get any sound out after this.
>
> Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'd rather not have to
> go out and fork over the cash for a sound card now.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Roger Zimmerman

Sanman,

Thanks for the tip. I turned the mixed down to half level, and the
0.2% distortion error is gone. There is still an occassional high
pitched crackle (like wrinkling plastic) occasionally. This could be
coming from the recording, for a Hi 8 camcorder.

Now for the next issue: When I start the TV on my ATI launchpad, it
says DMA is not on for the HDD. I checked the system(I forget exactly
where now) and it said the HDD was at Ultra DMA level 6. I did notice
that there are some IRQ conflicts, which may also be an issue.

Thanks again,

Roger Zimmerman