Question Atikmpag.sys,amdkmdag.sys bsod amd graphics hardware

Oct 4, 2022
Getting bsod or screen freezes/crashes. only way to recover is by powering laptop off by pressing the power button. tried installing every recommended driver for this like 20.4.2,20.8.2,19.3.1, still same. It fixes itself if I restart it by pressing the power button three times in the fourth attempt it works, still don't know why it happens.

How do I post the link for the files or upload files without getting marked as spam. shared mediafire link on amd forums and got marked as spam.

from the log file it also said "An attempt was made to map a file of size zero with the maximum size specified as zero", don't know what that means.
I tried the following methods that doesn't work
  • Tried installing the adrenalin and the pro drivers yet it doesn't work
  • Tried all the power settings to change.
  • Drivers are up to date, tried reinstalling.
  • The Intel driver is also up to date.
  • Tried DDU, cleaned and installed not working.
  • Tried the drivers from manufacturers website.
  • The EnableULPS key in regedit is set as 0 to fix as other issues.
Laptop -dell inspiron 3537
amd driver - amd radeon hd 8670M
Windows 10 version - 21h2
Tried everything I can maybe the driver is conflicting with other drivers., hardware or any other problem. any solution??

Note - Iam able to boot into windows 10 use it for atleast 15 seconds then the bsod happens or the screen freezes.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first try and make sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date. Then use drivers listed on Dell's support site for your laptop, after you've used DDU to remove all remnants of your GPU drivers(both the discrete and the iGPU).

Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd first try and make sure your laptop's BIOS is up to date. Then use drivers listed on Dell's support site for your laptop, after you've used DDU to remove all remnants of your GPU drivers(both the discrete and the iGPU).
Thanks for the reply
Bios is up to date. Had updated from A9 to A12 bios version long ago.

Oct 4, 2022
I can make it to work if I disable and enable the amd driver from the device manager immediately after booting into windows 10, if I am 10-15 seconds late screen freezes or bsod. This is quite annoying/frustrating as I have to disable and enable it every time on boot. it happens when waking up from sleep too.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you try a clean slate with DDU, when you tried my suggestion with Intel driver>AMD driver? Once you've installed the Intel GPU driver, reboot the platform, then disable the AMD GPU in Device Manager. Then install AMD GPU drivers(listed on Dell's support site).

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
Did you try a clean slate with DDU, when you tried my suggestion with Intel driver>AMD driver? Once you've installed the Intel GPU driver, reboot the platform, then disable the AMD GPU in Device Manager. Then install AMD GPU drivers(listed on Dell's support site).
Yep I tried clean slate with DDU. installed intel first, and then installed the amd driver. Let me try of doing DDU again then install intel, amd drivers then like you said of installing it from the dell support site.
The driver from dells website is quite old it is from 2014.

Lutfij

Titan
You don't exactly have the latest hardware on it, mind you. Once you manage to install the AMD driver, you can later use a latter gen AMD driver to install on the laptop. This will take trial and error. I've had to do something similar on an HP laptop with a faux AMD GPU like the one you have...wasn't an easy feat and it took me a lot of time to get it right. I did it about 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
You don't exactly have the latest hardware on it, mind you. Once you manage to install the AMD driver, you can later use a latter gen AMD driver to install on the laptop. This will take trial and error. I've had to do something similar on an HP laptop with a faux AMD GPU like the one you have...wasn't an easy feat and it too me a lot of time to get it right. I did it about 7 years ago.
I thing I might have fixed it. just changed the virtual memory to manual and set the values according to my ram. I got the way on google by searching amd driver timeout and opened one of the website. tried rebooting and the problem hasn't come yet. If it comes again I will manually try to find the perfect driver version as you told, thanks for the help.