Question ATT 5G Fiber ISP; only getting between1.5 to 1.47MB download from speeds ethernet but get 3.5MB upload.

Sep 15, 2023
NEW ...ATT 5G Fiber ISP just installed; only getting between; 1.5 to 1.47MB download from speeds ethernet but get 3.5MB upload.
How can I fix it?

Twice, TECHS, have come out now, and say it's my system! It does not make sense:
  • Using (1) Cat 6 ethernet directly from modem into 10G NIC card NIC setting set for 5G full duplex speed, NO VPN!
  • only (1) computer on LAN, 32G RAM, 4070 GPU, I9 CPU 3GHZ
  • ATT speed test: Download = 2451 Mbps & Upload= 2502 Mbps From internet to PC
  • ATT to gateway: Download = 5190Mbs & Upload= 3020.5Mbs
  • Fast.com: Download = 1.8Gbs & Upload= 95Mbs
  • OOkla Speed test: Download = 1.8Mbs & Upload =3489 Mbs
All Tests each ran independently and separately.
ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Last edited:
The test numbers seldom match the actual download rates you get from game sites. These game sites appear to have strange bottleneck or maybe intentional limits. I know on steam some games download very fast and other are only a tiny fraction of what I would expect.

I don't know what ATT is doing but their gateway box always seems to get great test results. That surprises me when you consider how tiny a router cpu is compared to a PC. I suspect it is purely that ATT has a number or very powerful speedtest servers that are only accessible by att customers. The more common public servers likely have lots more people testing on them at the same time.

I would first try to find the server ATT is testing on. The other difference is the ATT router itself is testing with the actual public IP address. Your pc has the addition overhead of having the router do the NAT function to translate the address. It is not a huge amount and the function is done by special hardware instructions in the ATT box. Generally you can't even detect this overhead but when you are talking huge data rates it could have more impact.

It could also be that the att fiber you are on has a lot of other people. Try testing in the middle of the night.

Although I have not seen att confirm it many people say att is using XGS-PON. This technology has a 10gbit limit. It also can support 64 users on the same physcial fiber. All depends on how much actual use there is.

You really need to think how much value does saving a few minutes a month downloading files have. ATT 5G plan last I looked was $180/month. Maybe consider dropping back to 1gbit since you can't consistently get the 5gbit anyway.