ATT/Cingular ?

Are they ever going to combine the options? i.e. Roll over minutes, etc.?

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:23:08 -0500, Just me <geokk@oponline.com> wrote:

>Are they ever going to combine the options? i.e. Roll over minutes, etc.?

I am a new customer myself but as I know it to be as of now to get the
rollover minutes Cingular wants AT&T contract holders to go in and sign a
Cingular contract to get them.

What drives me nuts now is the differences between stores.

Even though they all look exactly the same, retailers (some), converted
AT&T stores to Cingular and the always Cingular only corporate stores, as
far as returns go, my experience was with a leather case, the stores are
not interchangeable.

You could buy an accessory in a AT&T store that changed to Cingular but you
can't return anything to a Cingular always store. I travel a lot and had to
visit 8 stores before I found the one that qualified to accept the return.

I hope this is ironed out soon.

--
rring

In article <cjih21lr2fqtcm8ko0l538kmemqka7ds70@4ax.com>,
rring <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:23:08 -0500, Just me <geokk@oponline.com> wrote:
>
> >Are they ever going to combine the options? i.e. Roll over minutes, etc.?
>

> I am a new customer myself but as I know it to be as of now to get the
> rollover minutes Cingular wants AT&T contract holders to go in and sign a
> Cingular contract to get them.
>
> What drives me nuts now is the differences between stores.
>
> Even though they all look exactly the same, retailers (some), converted
> AT&T stores to Cingular and the always Cingular only corporate stores, as
> far as returns go, my experience was with a leather case, the stores are
> not interchangeable.
>
> You could buy an accessory in a AT&T store that changed to Cingular but you
> can't return anything to a Cingular always store. I travel a lot and had to
> visit 8 stores before I found the one that qualified to accept the return.
>
> I hope this is ironed out soon.

Strange, Cingular on November 16 had a press release that said they had
converted all the AT&T Wireless stores to Cingular.

Jack Zwick wrote:
> In article <cjih21lr2fqtcm8ko0l538kmemqka7ds70@4ax.com>,
> rring <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:23:08 -0500, Just me <geokk@oponline.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Are they ever going to combine the options? i.e. Roll over minutes, etc.?
>>

>>I am a new customer myself but as I know it to be as of now to get the
>>rollover minutes Cingular wants AT&T contract holders to go in and sign a
>>Cingular contract to get them.
>>
>>What drives me nuts now is the differences between stores.
>>
>>Even though they all look exactly the same, retailers (some), converted
>>AT&T stores to Cingular and the always Cingular only corporate stores, as
>>far as returns go, my experience was with a leather case, the stores are
>>not interchangeable.
>>
>>You could buy an accessory in a AT&T store that changed to Cingular but you
>>can't return anything to a Cingular always store. I travel a lot and had to
>>visit 8 stores before I found the one that qualified to accept the return.
>>
>>I hope this is ironed out soon.
>

> Strange, Cingular on November 16 had a press release that said they had
> converted all the AT&T Wireless stores to Cingular.
Yes, they all carry the Cingular signage, but don't try to get a any
service of any sort in a store that is and was Cingular.

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:29:11 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>In article <cjih21lr2fqtcm8ko0l538kmemqka7ds70@4ax.com>,
> rring <replyingroup@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:23:08 -0500, Just me <geokk@oponline.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Are they ever going to combine the options? i.e. Roll over minutes, etc.?
>>

>> I am a new customer myself but as I know it to be as of now to get the
>> rollover minutes Cingular wants AT&T contract holders to go in and sign a
>> Cingular contract to get them.
>>
>> What drives me nuts now is the differences between stores.
>>
>> Even though they all look exactly the same, retailers (some), converted
>> AT&T stores to Cingular and the always Cingular only corporate stores, as
>> far as returns go, my experience was with a leather case, the stores are
>> not interchangeable.
>>
>> You could buy an accessory in a AT&T store that changed to Cingular but you
>> can't return anything to a Cingular always store. I travel a lot and had to
>> visit 8 stores before I found the one that qualified to accept the return.
>>
>> I hope this is ironed out soon.
>
>Strange, Cingular on November 16 had a press release that said they had
>converted all the AT&T Wireless stores to Cingular.

Yes, by name only. The thing that hasn't changed is their inventories are
not interchangeable.

kev

Someday but not anytime soon. For now, you are still an ATT WS
customer. You can switch to Cingular but you have to be just like a
"new customer" and pay activation, go thru credit check and all that.

kev

That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
a Cingular store for ATT WS

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Kev wrote:
> That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
> One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
> But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
> a Cingular store for ATT WS

Actually, they now have many store fronts that house Taco Bell, Pizza
Hut, and KFC, all in one.

"Dave" <davesnothere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Kev wrote:
>> That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
>> One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
>> But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
>> a Cingular store for ATT WS
>>
> Actually, they now have many store fronts that house Taco Bell, Pizza Hut,
> and KFC, all in one.

LoL... Well you got his point though.

p.s. they also own a&w too.

SNIP

> Strange, Cingular on November 16 had a press release that said they had
> converted all the AT&T Wireless stores to Cingular.

Stores NOT customers. ATT customers can stay with ATT plans for at least the
forseeable future. I don't think there is any advantage to staying with ATT
other than not having to get a new phone. I moved over and am very happy
with the service and support.

TC

In article <1_wWd.2156$oO4.1219@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think there is any advantage to staying with ATT
> other than not having to get a new phone.

There's lots of advantage. Cingular doesn't offer the old ATT plan I'm
currently on, and to move would cost me a huge amount of money.

I get 2300 minutes/month, 7pm nights and weekends, and a second phone
all for $98 plus tax, total around $105. Go to cingular.com and see
where you can come up with that, even with a corporate discount plan.
Do they even offer to sell you 7pm nights anymore?

Cingular spent so much money acquiring ATTWS, they're trying to recoup
it with higher prices. Meanwhile, those of us with the lower priced and
higher valued plans are staying right where we are.

Question: if you don't think there's any advantage to staying with ATT,
then what is your perceived advantage in moving over to Cingular and
getting a completely new plan? What made you move over?

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On 5 Mar 2005 08:25:01 -0800, "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

>That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
>One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
>But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
>a Cingular store for ATT WS

Ah, but some places you do where they have a combined presence!

>>I don't think there is any advantage to staying with ATT
>>other than not having to get a new phone.
>

> There's lots of advantage. Cingular doesn't offer the old ATT plan I'm
> currently on, and to move would cost me a huge amount of money.
>
> I get 2300 minutes/month, 7pm nights and weekends, and a second phone
> all for $98 plus tax, total around $105. Go to cingular.com and see
> where you can come up with that, even with a corporate discount plan.
> Do they even offer to sell you 7pm nights anymore?

What state do you live in where there's only ~7% tax on a mobile phone?

> Cingular spent so much money acquiring ATTWS, they're trying to recoup
> it with higher prices. Meanwhile, those of us with the lower priced and
> higher valued plans are staying right where we are.
>
> Question: if you don't think there's any advantage to staying with ATT,
> then what is your perceived advantage in moving over to Cingular and
> getting a completely new plan? What made you move over?

johnf

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I don't think there is any advantage to staying with ATT other than not
> having to get a new phone. I moved over and am very happy with the service
> and support.

I stayed with my ATT plan because of the poor GSM coverage in my state. From
what I can tell Cingular will not let me continue use of TDMA on one of
their plans. The ATT plan I have allows me to roam the 11 western states on
TDMA or AMPS on any carrier for free. GSM coverage out west has a long way
to go yet to be comparable.

johnf

"JohnF" <u85721@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> I don't think there is any advantage to staying with ATT other than not
>> having to get a new phone. I moved over and am very happy with the
>> service and support.
>
> I stayed with my ATT plan because of the poor GSM coverage in my state.
> From what I can tell Cingular will not let me continue use of TDMA on one
> of their plans. The ATT plan I have allows me to roam the 11 western
> states on TDMA or AMPS on any carrier for free. GSM coverage out west has
> a long way to go yet to be comparable.

Also, my ATT plan allows unlimited free incoming text messages. From what I
can tell Cingular charges per message with not even a minimal number free?

I see no advantage of Cingular over ATT at this time. I'll stick with my ATT
plan until I'm forced to change or I can get equivalent service with a
Cingular plan.

RH

Same here.........my business uses text messages on a daily basis. I
probably send 80-100 per month, and receive probably 3 times that
many. I'm sticking with my AT&T plan, until cingular has something
similar to what I have.

>Also, my ATT plan allows unlimited free incoming text messages. From what I
>can tell Cingular charges per message with not even a minimal number free?
>
>I see no advantage of Cingular over ATT at this time. I'll stick with my ATT
>plan until I'm forced to change or I can get equivalent service with a
>Cingular plan.

No. Cingular bought out AT&T Wireless. Cingular is requiering that all AT&T
members switch to Cingular once there contract is up. You can stay on month
to month untill the AT&T Wireless name goes back to AT&T Longdistence. You
will never have rollover on a AT&T plan. But right now you can switch to
Cingular and void your contract with AT&T with no early term fees.

In article <UlRWd.100823$tl3.30228@attbi_s02>,
"Justin Crowell" <jcrowell@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Cingular is requiering that all AT&T
> members switch to Cingular once there contract is up.

Huh?

No, they're not.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 13:29:52 GMT, Tropical Haven <user@example.net>
wrote:

>What state do you live in where there's only ~7% tax on a mobile phone?

I pay about 25% with all the taxes and surcharges. My bill from what
I've been told is about average to low end.

In article <1110039901.741184.239040@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
"Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
> One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
> But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
> a Cingular store for ATT WS

According to Cingular, ATTWS has been integrated, and as of April 26
they wont even be allowed to use the ATTWS name.

Also Pepsi long ago spun off its restaurants into Yum Brands.

In article <ALednc-6xMGbyrffRVn-2A@comcast.com>,
"Danska" <danska@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Dave" <davesnothere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Kev wrote:
> >> That is because Cingular and ATT WS are still 2 different companies.
> >> One is owned by the other just as Pepsi owns Taco Bell and Pizza Hut.
> >> But you don't go into Pizza Hut to order a taco just as you don't go to
> >> a Cingular store for ATT WS
> >>
> > Actually, they now have many store fronts that house Taco Bell, Pizza Hut,
> > and KFC, all in one.
>
> LoL... Well you got his point though.
>
> p.s. they also own a&w too.

and Long John Silvers. But its not Pepsi anymore. It's Yum Brands.

johnf

My ATT contract was up two years ago and I've been told I can keep my plan
as long as I want.

In article <QmZWd.110715$Th1.51502@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"JohnF" <u85721@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My ATT contract was up two years ago and I've been told I can keep my plan
> as long as I want.
>
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> > In article <UlRWd.100823$tl3.30228@attbi_s02>,
> > "Justin Crowell" <jcrowell@insightbb.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Cingular is requiering that all AT&T
> >> members switch to Cingular once there contract is up.
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > No, they're not.

Its YES or NO, depending.

If they want a subsidized phone or Rollover minutes or anything else
Cingular offers that ATTWS didnt/doesnt, then yes Cingular requires a
new Cingular contract on a Cingular plan. If you are happy with your
ATTWS plan, and don't want/need a new/subsidized phone, then for now one
can stay with their ATTWS plan as long as they want (until Cingular
changes the rules).

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:09:31 +0000, JohnF wrote:

> "JohnF" <u85721@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> [quoted text muted]
> Also, my ATT plan allows unlimited free incoming text messages. From what
> I can tell Cingular charges per message with not even a minimal number
> free?
>
> I see no advantage of Cingular over ATT at this time. I'll stick with my
> ATT plan until I'm forced to change or I can get equivalent service with a
> Cingular plan.

I signed up for Mediaworks last month (before they raised the price and
limited the features), and I get 1500 messages/month. Which is about 1499
more than I used :)