ATT Fiber - Can I use my own router?

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I have ATT fiber and an ATT supplied router. I was curious if I could use my own router instead? I tried but no luck, so not sure if some setting has to be changed, but I gather ATT has done something to prevent it.

If I can't use my own router on its own, which I assume is the case, how best would it be to set up my router and the ATT router? I have a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X(then run a wireless AP with it). I want all of the routings to be done by the Edgerouter and not ATT.

I am not a network guy but do have some knowledge.

Yes, but if that's a modem/router you have to check with them about private modem support.
even if they require that device you can nest yours below it. just use a different subnet.

If you're paying for 1G speeds make sure you get the best connection with your equipment. the ERX can't handle 2way 1G.

This has been a complain about ATT almost from the beginning. Mostly this is them trying to force their crap tv/phone/internet bundles. Be nice if they were like Verizon where if all you want is FIOS internet and nothing else they will allow you to directly use the ONT with your router.

The best you can hope for most times is to put a rules in the ATT device setting your secondary router as DMZ. It depends on your needs and if not having the public IP on your router really matters.

Depends on what you want.

If you're trying to get faster wifi, add some access points.
For more plugs add a switch.

No need to mess with the dhcp settings if the routers are nested. they do need to be on separate subnets.
using two routers will slow you down if anything.

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
I want the fastest wired internet I can get, specifically for gaming...bloat, etc.. :)

I may be wrong but it seems something isn't as fast as it should be so I was going to set up my router which I used before I moved. I also have all of my settings on my Edgerouter to control the traffic on my network. I have my own AP to use, the ATT wireless is horrific right now.

Thanks. I will take a look at how to set up a subnet, is it hard? My problem is not much time atm.

the ERX SQM can only handle 100Mbs. if you have 1G now you shouldn't need any QoS. A lot of download providers won't let you download that fast so it will be hard to even max your line.

if you want any settings besides basic nat I'd suggest building a x86 pc and running ipfire or pfsense.
ipfire has the same sqm as the ERX, but you really don't need to run it.

I'd def recommend APs for wifi.
Unifi AP lites are great.
If you know you have a few 2x2 mimo or just mimo devices the hdnano might be worth it.
It is 4x4 mu mimo ac wave2, but can also break it down into multiple lesser ones.
only very new laptops or phones even have 2x2 mimo.

ser_renely

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
ok, thanks. Appreciate the help

I think my AVG DL is about 800 Mbs so that leaves a bit of room.

I am planning on get a Unifi AP in future.

Yeah, I just use fairly basic settings and static IPs. I just would like to keep my network the same as it was before, since I have no time to deal with anything new for a month or two. I think I found enough examples to get done what I need. I will give it a try on Monday or Tuesday.

Feb 19, 2019
Thank you for the replies.

I have been looking at the menu options for the router and it says I can turn DHCP routing off. Can I just do that and dhcp with my own router?

Here is the menu
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eo323VnHLsyrJqt88

I understand the bandwidth limits, I will have to upgrade my router... never thought I would have gb internet.

Hello,
Can you disable wifi on the router? What version or model of AT&T router do you have? Where you also able to connect your own router? If so, how were you able to?

Thanks