[SOLVED] Att modem router combo as modem only?

Mao____

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
The modem router combo decice provided by att is really spotty. So I want to bring my own router. What should I do? I think I saw somewhere that they do not offer bridge mode but does support ip passthrough. I'm not sure what any of this means. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
If I remember correctly that is just what ATT calls their DMZ mode. It depends on what problems you have with ATT. If it is just the wifi you could disable the wifi radios and use a second router as a AP to replace the radios.
Otherwise you could just plug you new router into theirs as a router and turn off their wifi. The only advantage to the "ip passthrough" is if you need to do port forwarding or have game consoles that need UPnP.

I don't think there is any way to not have the ATT router run NAT.
If I remember correctly that is just what ATT calls their DMZ mode. It depends on what problems you have with ATT. If it is just the wifi you could disable the wifi radios and use a second router as a AP to replace the radios.
Otherwise you could just plug you new router into theirs as a router and turn off their wifi. The only advantage to the "ip passthrough" is if you need to do port forwarding or have game consoles that need UPnP.

Solution

Mao____

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016

Thank you so much for your response. I was thinking about utilizing the second method, but is there a advantage for one over the other? I'm just trying to have my 3rd party router to take up as much of the workload as possible. Since the device that came from AT&t is really not that great.

TRENDING THREADS