Question Attach multiple hard disk to server

cavimal

Reputable
May 22, 2016
I am having a Server with Xeon Processor and 8GB Ram and 1TB Harddisk. One more hard disk can be connected with my server. I am using it as a web server for my website. My clients will upload and store files on the web server. Say I can allocated 20GB per client. I am expecting around 2000 Clients. So i would require around 20GB x 2000 = 40TB hard disk space. What kind of hardware should i buy and connect with my Server to make this possible. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your server? Are you calling a regular system that was built with off the shelf parts as a server or is it a prebuilt server? Often times you will have more than one way to connect HDD's to a server, either through onboard connectors via SAS/SATA ports or through an add-on RAID card.

USAFRet

Titan
I am having a Server with Xeon Processor and 8GB Ram and 1TB Harddisk. One more hard disk can be connected with my server. I am using it as a web server for my website. My clients will upload and store files on the web server. Say I can allocated 20GB per client. I am expecting around 2000 Clients. So i would require around 20GB x 2000 = 40TB hard disk space. What kind of hardware should i buy and connect with my Server to make this possible. Thanks
And then another 40TB for the required backups, correct?

Details on this server box, please.
Also, what sort of bandwidth do you have for this?

cavimal

Reputable
May 22, 2016
@Lutfij
It is not a pre built server. It is a regular system that was built with off the shelf parts as a server. It hsa Xeon Server Processor and compatible motherboard. The motherboard has option to connect to two internal hard drives.

@USAFRet
No i dont need backup for 40tb.

What else details do you require ? I will be happy to provide them. Thanks

popatim

Titan
You can use eight 10tb drives in a raid 10 - performance.
Six 10TB drives in a raid6*
Five 10TB drives in raid5*
Four 10tb drives in a raid 0, JBoD, or storage pool. {none of these are recommended for lack of redundancy}

*Other options:
- You can double the number of drives above for raid 50 & raid 60 setups.
- You can also add 1 or 2 drives and have them set as hot spares for the raid card to use when one of the data drives fails.

"No backups" will have your customers quite unhappy when they lose their data which they entrusted to you.
Be sure to explicitly state that in your contract/terms so they can't seek legal action when it happens.

cavimal

Reputable
May 22, 2016
You can use eight 10tb drives in a raid 10 - performance.
Six 10TB drives in a raid6*
Five 10TB drives in raid5*
Four 10tb drives in a raid 0, JBoD, or storage pool. {none of these are recommended for lack of redundancy}

*Other options:
  • You can double the number of drives above for raid 50 & raid 60 setups.
  • You can also add 1 or 2 drives and have them set as hot spares for the raid card to use when one of the data drives fails.

"No backups" will have your customers quite unhappy when they lose their data which they entrusted to you.
Be sure to explicitly state that in your contract/terms so they can't seek legal action when it happens.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
What hardware should i buy for this Raid Setup.