[SOLVED] Attaching a desktop GPU to a laptop?

leog10

Commendable
Apr 21, 2017
Hi,
I'm interested in purchasing the following laptop:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-ZenBo...s=zenbook+pro&qid=1566601736&s=gateway&sr=8-1
However it does not have a thunderbolt dock. If I wanted to improve the performance of this machine I was thinking of using some sort of USB-thunderbolt adapter and then plugging in a graphics card dock into the thunderbolt slot with a desktop GTX 1060 attached, my question is, is this even possible or worth doing?
Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Sir if you want to improve the performance of your computer, yes you can still noticeable gains using a External GPU but still it will bottleneck the performance due to the bandwidth of the USB type C and it would be a waste of money doing it as well because you will not utilize all the performance of the particular external GPU.

Things to consider doing it
1. the Processor the laptop that you are getting is pretty much decent yes its powerful for daily use however for games not that much and it will also bottleneck the GPU as well because I have checked the specs the laptop that you're getting is it a Inter 8XXX U series means it is a low power version of the processor

2. even it has Type C or thunderbolt you will only 30% or not...
Nope. Adapters won't work either. Also, on a slightly different note, even using a type C USB port will NOT work for an eGPU. It doesn't support external GPUs. It must be a “Thunderbolt” port, which supports higher bandwidth as well. A thunderbolt uses 2 or 4 PCI express lanes so it can enable the access of external GPU to the processor.

USB TYPE C type is really a great standard, as it was created with the idea to bring uniformity in port's standard which it did, and is continuing to do so….

But when it comes to supporting external GPU, that is totally a different story…The port hardware doesn’t have the capability to do that…One needs thunderbolt hardware support for this…..You need to look at the PCIe bandwidth to run a GPU. USB Type C Gen2 doesn't give any PCIe lanes, which will make running a GPU pretty much impossible. Even Thunderbolt 3, which gives PCIe Gen3 x4 bandwidth, will bottleneck a GPU. For a GPU, you want at least PCIe x8.

BTW, even Even Thunderbolt 3 bottlenecks external GPUs due to bandwidth problems, if I'm not mistaken. The usb type-c port must support thunderbolt-3 for any of the external GPU docks to function, due to the bandwidth thunderbolt-3 provides.

Aug 18, 2019
Sir if you want to improve the performance of your computer, yes you can still noticeable gains using a External GPU but still it will bottleneck the performance due to the bandwidth of the USB type C and it would be a waste of money doing it as well because you will not utilize all the performance of the particular external GPU.

Things to consider doing it
1. the Processor the laptop that you are getting is pretty much decent yes its powerful for daily use however for games not that much and it will also bottleneck the GPU as well because I have checked the specs the laptop that you're getting is it a Inter 8XXX U series means it is a low power version of the processor

2. even it has Type C or thunderbolt you will only 30% or not all performance will be utilized due to the bandwidth of the Type C

Take note: there are laptop saying Type C but don't assume that it is all Thunderbolt you have to check the laptop specs if it is either Type C or Type C thunderbolt because Type C only offers 20GB of data transfer speed and the thunderbolt is 40gb it is twice the speed however both of them wont do you good for external GPU.

3. The practicality of doing these does it worth it

there are some people able to do it getting more performance through PCIE by connecting the GPU through the slot of your SSD or the Wireless connection because those ports are mini PCIE slots on your laptop however there are consequences

1. are you willing to open your computer to access the components and void the warranty

2. there are risk of doing it because you have to configure the BIOS in order for the PCIE/SSD slot to accept the GPU you can watch youtube as well

3. if your laptop has no slot for SSD however the alternative is to take out your wireless connection card on your computer however in exchange you wont be able to use wireless connection since you use it as a port for GPU.

those are the things that you might consider :D

Solution
Aug 18, 2019
The other thing you have to ask your self do you play Triple AAA Games everyday or frequently does graphics details concern you?

if you only play games at 1080p and frequently and your not concern getting the specs lowered down I think that laptop powerful enough to play the games since the specs are good since it is running 8th gen CPU and a GTX 1050 Max Q Version so it decent enough to play games. and consider the value as well

there are lot of laptops that you can get that is powerful enough to run your everyday needs

I think the Zen book is around $1000 depending on the specification and the variants that is available I think you get better deals and better specs from that price point.

if you think about portability and very easy to carry try to look Razer brand, MSI, Asus they have a lightweight laptop which is also powerful

Just ask these guys above what they can recommend good laptop within your budget and I'm sure these guys here can get you good deals they can find :D