attaching USB 2.0 device crashes the computer

peter

Hi, whenever I try to attach a USB 2.0 device to my
computer (a Shuttle XPC SS51 with an Award
BIOS), it freezes. If I disable the Enhanced USB
controller, however, the USB 2 devices work fine (but at
USB 1.1 speeds). This happened shortly after updating
the USB enhanced drivers to .1243 (Windows Update
822603). When I roll back the drivers though, the
problem persists. Just wondering if the registry got
corrupted in the process. Short of reinstalling Windows,
is there any way to get USB 2.0 to work again?
I have also switched on and off support for USB Legacy
devices, no effect.

--Peter

Try deleting ALL the USB hubs, ports and devices with device
manager. Also disconnect any external devices such as flash
drives or hard drives. Then reboot and one set of drives
should be installed. The reinstall your devices one at a
time.