Attempted repair install. Errors.

Hi,
My XP Home desktop PC has only a backup partition for restoration which
if used, I'm told, will overwrite my applications and data. So I'm
using my laptop's OEM CD to attempt a repair restore on my desktop PC.

I already hopped out of the install process once, because it didn't
seem to be offering the 'Repair' option. This leaves me with the
reinstall process always asking for the CD when I start the machine.
Now I've been told that this process should provide a repair so I'm
trying it again.

At an early stage I'm getting the error:
"Setup failed to install the product catalog. This is a fatal error.
The setup log files should contain more information."

Then:

"The signatures for Windows XP Home edition setup is invalid. The error
code is: ffffff01."

"The system cannot find message text for message number 0xffffff01 in
the message file for syssetup.dll."

Please can anyone tell me is this due to the XP Home CD being limited
for use with my laptop, or are the erros associated with my terminating
the first attempt at reinstallation before it had finished?

TIA
Lila Duncan

Steve N. wrote:
> LilaDuncan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > My XP Home desktop PC has only a backup partition for restoration which
> > if used, I'm told, will overwrite my applications and data. So I'm
> > using my laptop's OEM CD to attempt a repair restore on my desktop PC.
> >
> > I already hopped out of the install process once, because it didn't
> > seem to be offering the 'Repair' option. This leaves me with the
> > reinstall process always asking for the CD when I start the machine.
> > Now I've been told that this process should provide a repair so I'm
> > trying it again.
> >
> > At an early stage I'm getting the error:
> > "Setup failed to install the product catalog. This is a fatal error.
> > The setup log files should contain more information."
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > "The signatures for Windows XP Home edition setup is invalid. The error
> > code is: ffffff01."
> >
> > "The system cannot find message text for message number 0xffffff01 in
> > the message file for syssetup.dll."
> >
> > Please can anyone tell me is this due to the XP Home CD being limited
> > for use with my laptop, or are the erros associated with my terminating
> > the first attempt at reinstallation before it had finished?
> >
> > TIA
> > Lila Duncan
> >

> Please keep to the original thread you started yesterday.
>
> Steve

Thanks for the advice. Am I mistaken in thinking that this is a
different question than the one I was asking yesterday? Perhaps you
didn't bother to read either. your response gives no indication either
way. Did you just happen to be on patrol in the area?
Regards,
Lila Duncan

LilaDuncan wrote:

> Hi,
> My XP Home desktop PC has only a backup partition for restoration which
> if used, I'm told, will overwrite my applications and data. So I'm
> using my laptop's OEM CD to attempt a repair restore on my desktop PC.
>
> I already hopped out of the install process once, because it didn't
> seem to be offering the 'Repair' option. This leaves me with the
> reinstall process always asking for the CD when I start the machine.
> Now I've been told that this process should provide a repair so I'm
> trying it again.
>
> At an early stage I'm getting the error:
> "Setup failed to install the product catalog. This is a fatal error.
> The setup log files should contain more information."
>
> Then:
>
> "The signatures for Windows XP Home edition setup is invalid. The error
> code is: ffffff01."
>
> "The system cannot find message text for message number 0xffffff01 in
> the message file for syssetup.dll."
>
> Please can anyone tell me is this due to the XP Home CD being limited
> for use with my laptop, or are the erros associated with my terminating
> the first attempt at reinstallation before it had finished?
>
> TIA
> Lila Duncan

Please keep to the original thread you started yesterday.

Steve

Steve N. wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, I did bother to read both and this question is obviously related to
> the first thread, otherwise I would not have asked you to keep to your
> original thread. It's in your own best interest to do so by making it
> easier for those who might be able to help you have easier access to
> relevant information about your problem.
>
> And no, I'm not "on patrol", I'm trying to help you get help easier/faster.
>
> Steve

I'm happy to accept the fact that you're motivated by a desire to help,
despite the fact that you didn't. :)

I hazard a guess that your rule book is subject to interpretation.
OK, my question is "related" to a previous one. Do all *your* relatives
live in the same house?

Regards,
Lila Duncan

Steve N. wrote:
> LilaDuncan wrote:
>

> > Steve N. wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Yes, I did bother to read both and this question is obviously related to
> >>the first thread, otherwise I would not have asked you to keep to your
> >>original thread. It's in your own best interest to do so by making it
> >>easier for those who might be able to help you have easier access to
> >>relevant information about your problem.
> >>
> >>And no, I'm not "on patrol", I'm trying to help you get help easier/faster.
> >>
> >>Steve
> >

> > I'm happy to accept the fact that you're motivated by a desire to help,
> > despite the fact that you didn't. :)
> >
> > I hazard a guess that your rule book is subject to interpretation.
> > OK, my question is "related" to a previous one. Do all *your* relatives
> > live in the same house?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lila Duncan
> >

> I offered you friendly advice and you act like a smart ass about it.
> Good luck.
>
> Steve

Everything you,ve written here so far has been a boring cliche, oft
repeated by countless geekish wanabee authoritarians. If this is your
idea of friendly, *none* of your relatives are ever likely to be direct
descendents.
Buck up, for your own sake.
Lila Duncan

Steve N. wrote:
> LilaDuncan wrote:
>

> > Steve N. wrote:

> >>I offered you friendly advice and you act like a smart ass about it.
> >>Good luck.
> >>
> >>Steve
> >

> > Everything you,ve written here so far has been a boring cliche, oft
> > repeated by countless geekish wanabee authoritarians. If this is your
> > idea of friendly, *none* of your relatives are ever likely to be direct
> > descendents.
> > Buck up, for your own sake.
> > Lila Duncan
> >

> Oh, and this reply is your idea of being friendly? Resorting to insults
> betrays your lack of maturity.

You're confusing well meant advice with insult which is much more
familiar to you.

> You got a good answer from JJ in your original thread. Did you bother to
> follow it? Did you bother to follow up there?

Yes, thank you. And thank you also for eventually addressing my
question, even if it is the outdated and previously resolved one you're
responding to.
I've now had several responses by email to my *more recent* question,
which has resolved the issue.

> Grow up, for your own sake.
>
> Steve

Arise, Little Sir Echo and for goodness sake try to think for yourself.

Lila Duncan

Steve N. wrote:
<snip>
> Too bad the rest of us don't have privy to the resolution so that we may
> also learn from it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823303

<snip>
> > Arise, Little Sir Echo and for goodness sake try to think for yourself.
> >
> > Lila Duncan
> >

> I echo nothing. I just tossed your own phrase back with a pointed twist.

Sadly Steven, as is often the case with social inadequates such as
yourself, the twist is monumentally greater than the point.

> What's the matter, don't like a taste of your own "medicine"?

Steven, your not ever going to be in the same field as my medicine.

> I speak my mind in my own manner as I see fit.

Yes, a few cliches and the job is done

> If you don't like it then I suggest you simply ignore me.

Done!

Lila Duncan>

Steven, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't realise you were so
sensitive. PLEASE stop sending me obscene email.
I don't believe for one moment that you're going to cut your wrists.
Please just calm down and find some other interests in life.
Lila Duncan

LilaDuncan wrote:

> Steve N. wrote:
>
>>LilaDuncan wrote:

>>>Everything you,ve written here so far has been a boring cliche, oft
>>>repeated by countless geekish wanabee authoritarians. If this is your
>>>idea of friendly, *none* of your relatives are ever likely to be direct
>>>descendents.
>>>Buck up, for your own sake.
>>>Lila Duncan
>>>

>>Oh, and this reply is your idea of being friendly? Resorting to insults
>>betrays your lack of maturity.
>

> You're confusing well meant advice with insult which is much more
> familiar to you.

What are you trying to imply? I never insulted you. I don't believe I'm
confusing anything here.

>>You got a good answer from JJ in your original thread. Did you bother to
>>follow it? Did you bother to follow up there?
>

> Yes, thank you. And thank you also for eventually addressing my
> question, even if it is the outdated and previously resolved one you're
> responding to.
> I've now had several responses by email to my *more recent* question,
> which has resolved the issue.

Too bad the rest of us don't have privy to the resolution so that we may
also learn from it.

>>Grow up, for your own sake.
>>
>>Steve
>

> Arise, Little Sir Echo and for goodness sake try to think for yourself.
>
> Lila Duncan

I echo nothing. I just tossed your own phrase back with a pointed twist.
What's the matter, don't like a taste of your own "medicine"? I speak my
mind in my own manner as I see fit. If you don't like it then I suggest
you simply ignore me.

Steve

LilaDuncan wrote:

> Steven, I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. I didn't realise you were so
> sensitive. PLEASE stop sending me obscene email.
> I don't believe for one moment that you're going to cut your wrists.
> Please just calm down and find some other interests in life.
> Lila Duncan

I never emailed you anything at all, Lila.

Steve

I thought the accusation was strange. Noting like people who put conditions on help recieved.

David Candy wrote:
> I thought the accusation was strange. Noting like people who put conditions on help recieved.

Oh well. I've seen much worse.

Steve