Attempted to install SSD and 2nd HDD to expand PC, so how can they be used accordingly?

Tim026

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
Bought this PC [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0111MTSZ8] about a year ago and has worked above par since day one. Windows 10, I believe, was 'preinstalled' and it came with a 1TB HDD. Two discs that were provided were 'msi Drivers and Utilities' which installs Google Chrome and 3 limited program and 'ATI Radeon Graphics' that seems to only install up to Windows 8. I've mainly utilized Steam Game files and rarely editing programs for videos and photos.

As of late, I've been teaching myself details regarding PC parts and utilities. The most recent is about installing more hard drives and that SSD's can be used to speed up program load times. I found this 3TB HDD [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GRLY] and this SSD [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019H3B3OW] at fairly decent prices, and with research, assumed they would be well worth the time.

But as I have visited many sites, tutorials and forums, I have yet to find a good way to setup the SSD as my primary Booting drive for games and programs. And to be perfectly honest, I still don't understand most things regarding this computers. Using this video link [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIKbVYMg50] I was able to find the disc drivers, but I'm not exactly sure about the settings.

Basically, if I was confusing, I want the SSD to boot all my programs, while the files and saves go to the provided HDD, the movable to the purchased 3TB as needed. Any help is greatly appreciated. Although please make your explanation as simple as possible. I have the capacity to understand, it just takes an example to get it. Thank you for your time.

Solution
I take it you've purchased the 240 GB SSD you referred to in your initial post. I had assumed you were just considering that particular disk but hadn't made a final decision as to an SSD. Did you also purchase the 3 TB HDD you mentioned?

Anyway...
Assuming your present system boots & functions without problems the simplest and most straightforward way to accomplish your objective of using the SSD as your new boot drive would be to clone the contents of your present HDD that contains the OS over to the SSD.

BUT...the problem here is that we don't know the amount of data that resides on your present boot drive. Since it's a 1 TB HDD I would suspect the volume of data is > 240 GB disk-space of the SSD. Is this so?

But it's possible...

GAMER_1

Reputable
Feb 28, 2016
To make that happen automatically would be quite hard to program. I recommend just doing raid 0 or you should just get a big SSD and get rig of the HDD all together.

Tim026

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016

I don't necessarily under stand the Raid 0 concept, but I've attempted multiple times since the day of this post to load my Windows 10 onto the SSD, via program disc and cloning programs. As I have researched, I've found that most of my results say to remove all other drives and to test the pc operation with only the SSD, however when the pc loads after Windows has been installed, the screen only shows a notifier "Not boot drive found. Please restart" (that may not be exact). I previously was able to set the ssd as the primary boot drive, but was unable to reset my other drives, and now I cannot even recreate the events to lead to my ssd becoming my main drive (C).

Is there a way to install windows 10 directly to the ssd? Then possibly remove my Hdd? Any other suggestions?

I take it you've purchased the 240 GB SSD you referred to in your initial post. I had assumed you were just considering that particular disk but hadn't made a final decision as to an SSD. Did you also purchase the 3 TB HDD you mentioned?

Anyway...
Assuming your present system boots & functions without problems the simplest and most straightforward way to accomplish your objective of using the SSD as your new boot drive would be to clone the contents of your present HDD that contains the OS over to the SSD.

BUT...the problem here is that we don't know the amount of data that resides on your present boot drive. Since it's a 1 TB HDD I would suspect the volume of data is > 240 GB disk-space of the SSD. Is this so?

But it's possible that the 1 TB HDD was partitioned in such a manner that only the OS (and possibly a few other programs) occupy a single partition that contains substantially less than 240 GB of data. So check this.

In any event, if it is not feasible to utilize a disk-cloning program to achieve your objective your only recourse would be to fresh-install the Win 10 OS onto the SSD and use the HDD for other programs, games, etc. Hopefully Cyberpower provided you with a DVD containing the OS which you can use to install the OS and other programs provided by the OEM.

Solution