Question Attempting to append to SQL database from access database through a virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2019
Hello Tom's hardware! I recently started working as a network admin and the system i'm working with is somewhat antiquated, so i'm unfamiliar with a lot of the elements in play due to my inexperience in the industry. I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question; I apologize if it is not .

Effectively what i'm trying to do is append from a table within an access database to a table on an MSSQL 2005 server through this program called Repository Explorer from a company formally known as Pervasive Software (now Actian). Repository explorer is hosted on a virtual machine and the SQL server as well as the virtual machine are hosted on my local computer. Repository Explorer is unable to connect to the host machine's SQL server despite connecting using super admin credentials with full permissions. I am unable to use SQL server configuration manager to see if the server is accepting tcp/ip connections because it was not installed when the MSSQL server was established, and it seems that trying to download it from service packs is not possible because it is "not valid for my edition." I am using Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition version 9.00.5000.00.

Any insight that can be provided is greatly appreciated! Here are some screen caps to help provide context.

Sep 26, 2019
If I remove repository explorer from the equation, how should I go about appending the data from the access table to the table in SQL server given that a majority of the column names are the same?

USAFRet

Titan
If I remove repository explorer from the equation, how should I go about appending the data from the access table to the table in SQL server given that a majority of the column names are the same?
I'd have to know the full table structure and relationships, on both ends, to see how and what to append.

That's not something that can be talked through in a forum like this.

I'd detach the data base files from your SQL 2005 server, make a backup, and move them to a fresh full-blown install of 2017 version. There you can install tools and similar.

As for your original question: From "client" machine, try to make simple Telnet connection to "server" machine on port 1433. If you succeed, than your host SQL is alive and reachable.

Reactions: Johnmigurk93
Status
Not open for further replies.