[SOLVED] Attempting to build an OpenVPN network on Verizon FIOS

sticktwig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
I'm struggling to find any solutions to a problem. I'm a FIOS customer and have spoke with ther tech support at multiple levels. They've explained I have to keep their router in place as a DHCP server to get tv listings to our TV boxes (a pox on those). I've purchased a new router capable of handling OpenVPN connections (dual core chip as recommended). The claim I can't I kill DHCP serving on the FIOS box or even bridge the devices without losing internet access or the TV listings.

Can anyone help me identify any methods to overcome this problem? Is there a way for the new router to filter out any DHCP server functions from the FIOS router?

Thanks

Solution
It has been a bit since I had FIOS so I may not have my information correct. I think you can have them activate the ethernet port on the ONT and hook your router there. You must keep their router for the TV. I think they use the coax using moca to get this other internet connection to your tv boxes.

So in effect you have 2 internet connections.

The other option is to just hook your router wan port to their lan port. You now can use the lan ports on your router to run your network and leave their router alone. You will need to use a different subnet on the lan and wan ..ie they both can't be 192.168.1.x

I would consider just canceling the TV like many other people have done and only have internet. There are many options...
It has been a bit since I had FIOS so I may not have my information correct. I think you can have them activate the ethernet port on the ONT and hook your router there. You must keep their router for the TV. I think they use the coax using moca to get this other internet connection to your tv boxes.

So in effect you have 2 internet connections.

The other option is to just hook your router wan port to their lan port. You now can use the lan ports on your router to run your network and leave their router alone. You will need to use a different subnet on the lan and wan ..ie they both can't be 192.168.1.x

I would consider just canceling the TV like many other people have done and only have internet. There are many options to replace cable tv.

The best router for vpn is actually some of the asus router that have a hardware accelerator in them. The rt-ac86u is one of them. Most routers even with fairly fast cpu will cap out under 50 mbps. This router can do about 300 depending on what encryption you use.

This is actually a fairly old router but I have not seen much discussion on a different chipset that also has the encryption firmware support.

Solution

sticktwig

Reputable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for the response. The Verizon tech recommended connecting directly to the ONT, but it's in our garage and routing cable won't be easy. It's possible, but will have to wait until spring at this point.

After a few issues, I was able to set it up successfully. I purchased a Nighthawk R6400v2 used and flashed it with DD-WRT. I am wondering if you are correct about the limits. The router you mention has a 1.8 ghz dual core processor and this Nighthawk has a 1 ghz dual core processor. My rates are tapping out around 40 mbps but stable, which likely reflects the limit you are mentioning. But my next step is to route all streaming services out of the VPN stream. That should ease things quite a bit.

I'd read about the VPN enabled chips. Like the idea, but I'm happy at the moment and will ride this out until the rt-ac86u comes down in price (Still $160+ by a quick search, $140 used on Ebay). Probably a year or so with how fast prices drop. We have small kids, so there isn't a lot of bandwidth use at this point.

And we are inching closer to giving up TV. But having it gives access to a lot of Roku app content we would have to pay for. And the NFL is still limited and I can only DVR games to watch later using their box. I still dream of the day and hope the sport will all move online sooner than later.

Thanks again and take care

Years ago I had to get an IPSec vpn router working at our place with a verizon router that also needed to stay in place. What I was able to do is place the other router in the verizon dmz and it was able to get the tunnel up.

If you connect directly to the ont, you will run into the same issue of not having the guide.