Attempting to clone Windows 7 to a new SSD, but old install of XP is marked as "System" partition

bliggityblack

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Hello, all

My problem is, I hope, neatly summarized by my post title. I bought an SSD recently, and I would like to clone my install of Windows 7 to it. However, when I first built this computer, I installed Windows XP, and when I upgraded to 7, I foolishly just installed 7 to a partition on the same HDD that had the install of XP. I have included a screenshot of my disk manager. Disk 3 is the pertinent disk in which D: is Windows XP, C: is 7, and E: is a separate partition so that I could keep pictures, video, games, etc. separate from my C: drive in case something ever goes wrong. All three partitions are on the same HDD.

I attempted first to clone just the C: partition to my SSD. Usually when I boot my computer I'm asked if I want to boot into 7 or older versions of Windows. I did not receive that prompt. So I formatted the SSD to start over, and this time I attempted to clone both D: and C: to the SSD. I received the usual boot menu, but upon selecting Windows 7 it told me to insert a repair disk.

I'd like to finally rectify this issue, because I've attempted to get rid of my XP partition before with no luck. What steps do I need to take to make sure that I can make my C: drive the active, primary boot partition so that I can delete the D: partition and finally clone everything to boot from my SSD? I hope I was able to properly communicate my issues. Thank you for any and all help.

yZ6ccDr.png

If your new SSD is a Samsung ssd, you can use the Samsung ssd migration tool to move your C drive to a new Samsung ssd.
It is a C drive mover, not a clone app.
When done, your files on the current drive will be available and you should be able to delete windows folders and partitions of of the original drive.