Question Attempting to install MS Office 97 PE via disc on Windows 10

Apr 8, 2019
Hi there,

So as the thread title states, I'm attempting to install MS Office 97 Professional Edition via disc on Windows 10.

I know there are a ton of free word processing options out there like Google Docs, which I do indeed use, but recently, I lost access to Office 365 and remembered that I managed to swipe this copy of MS Office 97 at a local resale shop for just a buck!

The original key is still included on the back of the jewel case, so I'm not in need of that.

I've seen a few instances of people getting the suite to successfully install and run on Windows 10 on YouTube, and you can find a few articles with detailed installations via a quick Google search; however, I can't seem to get mine to complete setup at all. I keep getting Setup Error 544, which states:

Setup is unable to open the data file
'E:\~MSSETUP.T\~msstfof.t\Off97Pro.stf'; run
Setup again from where you originally ran it.

I followed the directory path and deleted the folder once I knew it was safe to do so and attempted the installation again to see if it would do the same thing. Again, same issue, so I tried running it in Administrator and Compatibility Mode starting with Windows 8 and finally down to Windows XP (SP3.) Still, no dice.

In this case, Drive E was an empty 1TB hard drive that I forgot to disconnect when I installed a new motherboard and GPU earlier last year*.

I then shut down my PC and disconnected the drive since I'm not currently using it anyway and attempted installation again, which is why I'm here asking you beautiful folks for help.

Below, you'll find a list of my specs:

Processor: Intel i7 7700K

Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080ti SC2 Gaming

Memory:
  • 16GB Intel Optane Memory Accelerator M.2
  • Samsung 250GB 960 EVO M.2 SSD
  • FireCuda 2TB SSHD
  • Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD (not connected)
  • Corsair 16GB DDR4 RGB RAM

Cooling:
  • Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System
  • x3 120mm Corsair SP Series High Performance RGB LED

*Okay, so I'm still learning how to build computers, so a friend supervised and helped me install them when I hit snags or felt uncomfortable since I was working with a mid-tower chassis.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Setup is unable to open the data file = error 544

most of the 544 errors seems to relate to wrong setup program being run.

looking at pages from 20 years sure takes me back... clicking on support links to MS from 2004 just doesn't work.

Office 97 isn't supported by Win 10 after version 1709 of Win 10 (was released 2 years ago) - https://www.tenforums.com/microsoft...7-no-longer-compatible-after-1709-update.html

You could perhaps install office 97 in a VM? just need win 7 or something to run it in.

note: I moved thread to win 10 forums as it is better suited here.

Reactions: mandychuu
Apr 8, 2019
Setup is unable to open the data file = error 544

most of the 544 errors seems to relate to wrong setup program being run.

looking at pages from 20 years sure takes me back... clicking on support links to MS from 2004 just doesn't work.

Office 97 isn't supported by Win 10 after version 1709 of Win 10 (was released 2 years ago) - https://www.tenforums.com/microsoft...7-no-longer-compatible-after-1709-update.html

You could perhaps install office 97 in a VM? just need win 7 or something to run it in.

note: I moved thread to win 10 forums as it is better suited here.

Ah, I guess that's why it won't work now. Good to know.

I'll have to look into Virtual Machines, if only for nostalgic purposes. I have an old Dell PC I've held onto for about 13+ years now that I play around with as a hobby, but it needs a new hard drive as the original one is finally now toast.

Thanks for the reply!

Apr 8, 2019
I know you said you are aware of other word processing options, but I don't see why you don't just use Libre Office. It will work with all the MS Office files as well as many others and it is free.

I was mostly just interested in seeing if I could get MS Office 97 to run again for nostalgic purposes. I do use Google Docs frequently for collaborative writing, resume editing, and all sorts of other things.

Thanks for recommending Libre Office though! I might install that and give it a go. I have a Chromebook coming in soon though for my on-the-go lifestyle, so I don't know how often I'll use it.