Question Attempting to reverse overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Intel i7-4790K

I've been having a lot of troubles recently playing in games whereby I freeze and go straight to blue screen. I've checked over my system and noticed that I'm overclocked which right now, I don't need that kind of power to my components. The i7 is peaking at 4.4GHz in some cases where I am just idle.

AI Suite shows that I'm 10% overclocked which I hadn't realised. I've gone into the uefi and I've loaded system defaults for everything to which it's still overclocked. The only options I have on the Uefi is Auto, Manual and XMP.

Noticing that, AI Suite also shows my DRAM Freq is 1330Mhz but my ram is 2333Mhz.

Any help or solutions?

Thanks!

QCube

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
The Evga G2 850w has a 7 year warranty. Get ahold of Evga if there's any doubts about whether the psu is good or not.

There's no way to test a closed loop cooler for a leak, the only way to diagnose a leak is by visible evidence, which is usually staining on the motherboard, corrosion around the edges of the pump base, spray drop patterns if the pc is quite dusty etc.

A pump consists of 4 basic parts, the motor, the diaphragm, the microfins and the pcb. It only takes 1 to fail and the pump is bunk, and most assume it's the motor.

If the pump doesn't work at all, it's usually something on the pcb is toast or motor is frozen. If there's a vibration, the motor is working, but the microfins can be clogged or the diaphragm is toast, either results in little to no flow. The last is lack of coolant. After years of use, the coolant starts breaking down into its composite elements, H²O turning into hydroxides and Oxygen. Oxygen molecules are tiny, and will eventually start bleeding through the rubber hoses. If enough of that happens, the pure liquid level goes down, upto the point where there's insufficient liquid to get pumped throughout the loop and cpu temps go way up. This usually happens @ the 5-6 year point.

With that cooler, it's large enough in capacity that absorbtion rates will not be a problem. So both hoses should be the same temp, ± 2-3°C at best. Since one is hot and the other colder and it's self evident, I'd be inclined to believe there's a flow problem. Either lack of coolant or some sort of blockage to the microfins and thats preventing adequate flow. The X62 should be relatively new, I'd be looking to see if it's covered under Warranty still and give a shout to NZXT.

PSU Is in pretty good condition I'm confident.

No visible evidence for a leak from the cooler. I've completed removed the H110i GTX for now and I've dug out my old stock i7 cooler and installed that.

I did notice the pump head on the H110i had some scortch marks from where the CPU was situated in position, so it could've possibly been a dead H110i. I'll continue to watch the temps from the stock cooler and hope that this gives me much better stability.

I'm still attempting to unclock the I7. Just trying to get some decent reliability right now.

Your feedback definietely helped out here though. Loved your knowledge so hoping I'm on the right track.