[SOLVED] Attempts to revert an overclock with Ryzen 5 1600

Jun 19, 2020
Hey y'all. Today I decided to revert an overclock I had set (3,6GHz) something like 2 years ago and lo and behold my computer would instantly shut down in some scenarios, most notably it first happened with launching games, then after changing some settings (I wish I had kept track of what I changed but hindsight is 20/20 and all that) it also happened at the Windows 10 login screen.

I've searched around for the default settings myself and found it to be 3.2GHz and 1.5 voltage but even that causes the aforementioned shut downs but only in games so this is where I am in terms of clock settings right now. I'd imagine that the shutdowns are not exclusive to games but I don't have any other cpu intensive software to try with right now. I've also reset the CMOS few times but it only seemed to have reset the time of the system.

Could anyone more enlightened be able to explain what's going on and perhaps give me a stern talking to about missing something crucial? at this point I'd take the 3,6GHz overclock when it worked than whatever I did wrong here.

Thank you.

Solution
Hey hey, what is your way of resetting the CMOS? I've just put the jumper on the 2-3 pins as the manual that came with the motherboard instructed. Also the motherboard in question is Asrock AB350M Pro4.

Edit: Ah well scratch that, I was reading that there should be an option like that in BIOS but maybe I've just overlooked it when I was checking it before.
It's usually F5 that resets CMOS. you can also take battery out for a minute or two, just make sure power is right of when you do that.
Hey y'all. Today I decided to revert an overclock I had set (3,6GHz) something like 2 years ago and lo and behold my computer would instantly shut down in some scenarios, most notably it first happened with launching games, then after changing some settings (I wish I had kept track of what I changed but hindsight is 20/20 and all that) it also happened at the Windows 10 login screen.

I've searched around for the default settings myself and found it to be 3.2GHz and 1.5 voltage but even that causes the aforementioned shut downs but only in games so this is where I am in terms of clock settings right now. I'd imagine that the shutdowns are not exclusive to games but I don't have any other cpu intensive software to try with right now. I've also reset the CMOS few times but it only seemed to have reset the time of the system.

Could anyone more enlightened be able to explain what's going on and perhaps give me a stern talking to about missing something crucial? at this point I'd take the 3,6GHz overclock when it worked than whatever I did wrong here.

Thank you.
Start by resetting CMOS to factory settings.

Jun 19, 2020
Start by resetting CMOS to factory settings.
Hey hey, what is your way of resetting the CMOS? I've just put the jumper on the 2-3 pins as the manual that came with the motherboard instructed. Also the motherboard in question is Asrock AB350M Pro4.

Edit: Ah well scratch that, I was reading that there should be an option like that in BIOS but maybe I've just overlooked it when I was checking it before.

Last edited:

It's usually F5 that resets CMOS. you can also take battery out for a minute or two, just make sure power is right of when you do that.

Solution
Jun 19, 2020
I'm embarrassed to admit just how hasty I was since I did find the reset and it seems to be working. The reset option was worded in such a way that it made me feel a bit unsure to try it first and I was thinking that the jumper would've done the same thing. Seems like all I should've done was to put the clock speed and voltage on auto but I was reading somewhere that doing so might lead to overvoltage. Thank you so much, also that F5 tip ought to help a lot in the future so thanks for that as well.

I'm embarrassed to admit just how hasty I was since I did find the reset and it seems to be working. The reset option was worded in such a way that it made me feel a bit unsure to try it first and I was thinking that the jumper would've done the same thing. Seems like all I should've done was to put the clock speed and voltage on auto but I was reading somewhere that doing so might lead to overvoltage. Thank you so much, also that F5 tip ought to help a lot in the future so thanks for that as well.
You are welcome, resetting CMOS/BIOS just brings it to factory defaults and is easy way to get out of OC or some wrong settings trouble.