attention all Nokia 6340i owners

just a note to remind all to stop by sometime to a Cingular service
center and have the software upgraded on your Nokia 6340i.

had my software updated Monday.. I'm unsure what was installed but it
sure behaves better than before.. if there is a way to find it on the
phone-I'll be glad to look it up for you-let me know..the Cingular rep
said the 6340 had gone through several software upgrades in the past
months..

In article <zM_ec.6489$zj3.3752@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Carl Roberts <bought1@mac.com> wrote:

> I'm unsure what was installed but it
> sure behaves better than before..

Well that nails it down for sure.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:30:14 -0400, "Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>What's the latest version?

Obviously mine is not the latest version. But I am keen to know does
anyone know what the improvements are? And what the version # is.

I just got this phone activated 4/4/04, bought it off of ebay and
bought a sim card from Cingular. I would have though that they would
have upgraded the phone to the latest software when they activated it.

I bought my service from a Cingular "only" store, being new at this,
what qualifies a store to be a service center so i can go to one and
get my upgrade in the next few days.

Here are my results from *#0000#
remember that first * or it won't work.

V 8.04.1
03-07-03
RH-13
(c) NMP

c'ya,
painfully new

(phone was updated Monday) v 8.06.1 03-12-04 RH-13

Rock wrote:
> To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer and is
> 8.05.3

Does this new software address the echo problem with the 6340i?

If not then what other problems exist with the 6340i am I not aware of that
the software upgrade address??

JoshIII
upstate south carolina
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracfoneusers
TracFone *also* uses the Cingular network

"Carl Roberts" <bought1@mac.com> wrote in message
> (phone was updated Monday) v 8.06.1 03-12-04 RH-13
>
> Rock wrote:
> > To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer
and is
> > 8.05.3

I am planning to get one of these phones so I called nokia
(1-888-665-4228) to inquire about this firmware upgrade. They would only
refer me to a local service center who would know the details.

I called them and found out the following:

1. latest version is 8.06.1
2. it fixes an intermittent keyboard locking issue
3. it allows 11 digit numbers to be copied to SIM card
4. it fixes a power down issue in analog mode with TDMA (powers down if
cannot find a signal, instead of staying on in power save mode)

I believe I have reported this correctly, but would like some other
people to verify the above by contacting nokia and getting their local
provider contact info and checking this out. My local provider indicated
that was a recommended update and was free.

Harvey

Josh III wrote:
> Does this new software address the echo problem with the 6340i?
>
> If not then what other problems exist with the 6340i am I not aware of that
> the software upgrade address??
>
> JoshIII
> upstate south carolina
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracfoneusers
> TracFone *also* uses the Cingular network
>

> "Carl Roberts" <bought1@mac.com> wrote in message
>
>>(phone was updated Monday) v 8.06.1 03-12-04 RH-13
>>
>>Rock wrote:
>>
>>>To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer
>
> and is
>
>>>8.05.3

Good luck in the Detroit market as they don't do it anymore. 4 or more
weeks away for repair.

Chris

> just a note to remind all to stop by sometime to a Cingular service
> center and have the software upgraded on your Nokia 6340i.

slacker

"Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer and
is
> 8.05.3

I had mine updated a week or two ago and my says 8.04.1 3/7/03 I thought the
sales rep was acting shady and seemed pissed off that I was only there for a
firmware update. I am going back for another visit.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

<slacker@home.net> wrote in message

> "Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer
and
> is
> > 8.05.3
> >

> I had mine updated a week or two ago and my says 8.04.1 3/7/03 I thought
the
> sales rep was acting shady and seemed pissed off that I was only there for
> firmware update. I am going back for another visit.

Dirtbag salesman.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:30:14 -0400, "Rock" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>What's the latest version?

Well I called nokia, found the 888 number in this thread. After
answering all of their questions, i asked mine.

I was informed that no service centers were in my area and that they
could only do a 50 mile search from my location. Thanked them, hung up
on their friendly survey that they transferred me to after telling me
i would have to mail the phone in for the firmware upgrade. I waited a
short time and never did get connected to the survey so i bailed out
on that call..

Then went to

http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.htm

Typed in a nearby town on the way to a big city and found two service
centers. So next time i go out of town I'll get the firmware upgrade.
But I will call first and make sure they do it and it is free or at
least reasonable and the latest one.

Remember I'm the guy that got my 6340i off ebay and am waiting until
June 11, 2004 when the cingular stores in my area say they will have
20 of the new smart phones, so they say.... but i've got a good phone
(ok, it echo's sometimes, but i can live with that), the phone works
and i will be purchasing a new smart phone after the dust settles and
people like us start reporting what phones are good and what are bad.

The Cingular guy that activated my phone said he got one of the new
ones (did not tell me which one or give details, it was late and he
wanted to go home) but he said it cost him $600 and at this point in
time he could not get it activated without doing something he was not
supposed to do... This was the first time I had done business with him
and the activating me took a few minutes after closing so i did not
play 20 questions with him, i'll do that later.

I'm not going to mail my phone off for the upgrade.

Here is the URL for nokia and their repair centers which also do
firmware upgrades, you just need phone model and zip code.

http://www.nokiausa.com/support/repair/1,1238,,00.html

that url will save you a phone call

c'ya,
painfully new

I too was experiencing the "echo" but even worse and what caused a visit
to the Cingular tech center was the inablility to make a call.. my
phone went really weird this weekend (my voice was distorted)..
Josh III wrote:
> Does this new software address the echo problem with the 6340i?
>
> If not then what other problems exist with the 6340i am I not aware of that
> the software upgrade address??
>
> JoshIII
> upstate south carolina
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracfoneusers
> TracFone *also* uses the Cingular network
>

> "Carl Roberts" <bought1@mac.com> wrote in message
>
>>(phone was updated Monday) v 8.06.1 03-12-04 RH-13
>>
>>Rock wrote:
>>
>>>To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer
>
> and is
>
>>>8.05.3

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
> Good luck in the Detroit market as they don't do it anymore. 4 or more
> weeks away for repair.
>
> Chris

I called the Cingular dealer on Hall road across from Lakeside Mall (Shelby)
and they claim they update software there for the 6340i. I haven't gone in
and found out personally yet though, so the phone person could be full of
$hit also.I'm going to check it out this week.

The Eastpointe store on Gratiot told me that all company stores have stopped
doing ANY software/firmware upgrades due to too many destroyed phones. Good
luck over on Hall road.

Chris

> "Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message
> > Good luck in the Detroit market as they don't do it anymore. 4 or more
> > weeks away for repair.
> >
> > Chris
>
> I called the Cingular dealer on Hall road across from Lakeside Mall
(Shelby)
> and they claim they update software there for the 6340i. I haven't gone in
> and found out personally yet though, so the phone person could be full of
> $hit also.I'm going to check it out this week.

DC

Call before going to se Cingular Tech Service. I made a visit today and
waited 20 minutes and then had the rep. tell me 8.05.3 is the latest version
available. When I questioned him on it, he said if there is a version 8.06.1
then he does not know about it.
DC

"Carl Roberts" <bought1@mac.com> wrote in message
> (phone was updated Monday) v 8.06.1 03-12-04 RH-13
>
> Rock wrote:
> > To check software version press *#0000#. Mine was updated last summer
and is
> > 8.05.3

I do not know if this makes a difference but I'm in the Memphis TN area..