Info Attention anyone with AMD Ryzen desktop and laptop APUs looking to do the Windows 1903 Update

Rogue Leader

Titan
Heads up to anyone running an AMD Ryzen APU based desktop or laptop, update to the latest Radeon Drivers (19.5.2) BEFORE loading the 1903 update. There were some issues especially on HP laptops with the 2500U and 2700U with the old HP provided drivers (laptop randomly goes to a blank or solid color screen) that return if you're not on the latest AMD Adrenalin.

Rogue Leader

Titan
I have the A6 series. A6-7310
Ok that doesn't apply to this warning, this is about Ryzen APUs with built in Vega graphics, as per the title.

Upon release HP provided the drivers which were stuck to an older version which had a bug that caused the laptop to lock up and show a solid color screen randomly. This was fixed once AMD unlocked the ability to update the drivers using ones from their site. This same bug is now back with 1903 unless you're on the latest drivers, and I'd assume possibly with other APUs (though I have no others to test) but considering the issue, it would be best practice to update.

Reactions: Mandark

TechyInAZ

Polypheme
Also, DO NOT use the AMD Ryzen Balanced Plan that COMES with AMD CHIPSET DRIVERS!!! AMD reps have confirmed that specific power plan is only for old builds of windows 10 which didn't have a power plan built into windows 10 that was optimized for Ryzen.

So if you do install chipset drivers, you can simply uncheck the box for installing the Ryzen balanced power plan. Windows 10's default balanced power plan has newer and better optimizations for Ryzen.

TechyInAZ

Polypheme
No problems with AMD Ryzen power plan here with "amd_chipset_drivers_19.10.0429" Min CPU set to 5% and max to 100% idles at 2.ghz and boosts to 4.3.
I'm not saying there's a problem with it, I'm saying it's outdated. Use the regular balanced plan which has newer and more ryzen optimizations. (FYI, the optimizations are under the hood, you can't see them or edit them, they work with the actual CPU hardware itself and I believe the windows scheduler to a degree.)

I'm not saying there's a problem with it, I'm saying it's outdated. Use the regular balanced plan which has newer and more ryzen optimizations. (FYI, the optimizations are under the hood, you can't see them or edit them, they work with the actual CPU hardware itself and I believe the windows scheduler to a degree.)
I know some that lost that plan altogether, mine is there and working. I use it to lower idle frequency and with it voltage and temps. Performance enhancements are not coming from it so there's nothing tieing them. Any Performance enhancement must come from kernel.

BiggWigg92

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Thanks for sharing; this very well may save some people from a nightmare of a headache. As a note, generally speaking, it's best to keep everything up to date but the order of updating things depends on a few factors. As a best practice, drivers proceed OS if they both have an update simultaneously and by doing that you can avoid such issues.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS