ATX 4 pin shorting the system

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
My motherboard is possibly faulty(so is my PSU) and I'm testing the system only while the motherboard, cpu and cpu fan are connected to the system. when connecting the ATX 24 pin only, the system "runs" without shuting down, but nothing actually runs, no display, no POST, no beeps, only the fans spinning and thats it.

When I'm connecting the ATX 24 pin and the ATX 4 pin as well, the system powers up for around 15 seconds, still no display etc, but if I'm powering it without RAM it beeps(RAM beep ofc), after 15 seconds(+-) the system restarts and that's the cycle.

Things I've tried so far: Different PSU(even tho my own PSU might be faulty either way, other PSU's I've tried behaved the same, so I don't think that specific problem is due to the PSU. I tried to disconnec everything for 24 hours, restarting the CMOS, even replacing the 2032 battery, replaced the PSU cable and basically everything I can really think of.

The problem is somehow connected to the ATX 4 pin I believe, as the system doesn't shut down without it connected, but even if it worked there might be other problems as well.
I think my main focus should be on the ATX 4 pin, are there any tests I can do? Its not the PSU as I tried a few, which leaves only the ATX 4 pin on the motherboard, is it even fixable? The motherboard is toast atm anyway, so I don't mind going extreme with soldering etc. Are there any alternatives maybe for the 4 ATX pin?

I'm looking for a new motherboard meanwhile, but its LGA1155 and its dam hard to find, so while I'm looking for a new one, I guess I'll try doing any fix I can think of.
Thanks for the help.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

MSI B75MA-E33
i5 3470
Seasonic 500W

I can add some more specs, but its not connected anyway atm, which makes it irrelevant as far as I can see.
Thanks.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

Well my problem is not really finding it, but doing it as soon as possible, getting a motherboard from ebay(which is used anyway) in 2 months won't really help me atm, getting a second hand motherboard from someone in my country will be faster probably, but again, the thread is not about it, I'd like to get possible things I can try to fix my motherboard. Thanks.

That's normal. Get ram first.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

Hmm did you actually read my post? -.-

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

"IF"................................. its really clear.
IF has 2 situations:
With ram: No beep, no post, no display, system shuts down after 15 seconds.
Without ram: beeps(ram beeps obviously), no post, no display, system shuts down after 15 seconds.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

I also didn't mention cpu fan, but you knew its there :D
I didn't mention ram as I tried 3 working sticks, and its simply not related to it, so I wanted to write only the necessary parts.
Anyway, I went through the list, nothing useful unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that my ATX 4 pin is somehow related, and that I think it shorts the system, but I'm not sure what I can try to fix it. Thanks anyway.

I don't know that. Are you using CPU cooler? Are you sure it's installed properly? What model it it?

Did you try assembling your system outside of pc enclosure?
Can you post photo of top down view of motherboard, to see, how everything is connected?

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

Everything is installed properly..the cpu fan is Zalman CNPS7000V-AL.
I assembled everything outside already using only the motherboard, cpu, cpu fan and ram.
The only thing connected to the motherboard is ATX 24 pin main power connector, ATX 4 pin connector and the cpu fan to the cpu connector. Of course, the 4 pin audio speaker that connects to the motherboard and the actual power/reset/led that connects to the front panel connector. Its not something related to that.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

I understand it, but I've built hundreads of computers in my life, I can sort of call myself "an expert", what I'm asking here is the uncommon, unconventional solutions I might try before throwing the motherboard to the thrash. The motherboard is almost guaranteed to be faulty. But maybe with soldering or some other weird solutions, might be able to be fixed. Again, not trying to be rude or anything, I appreciate you're trying help. Thanks.

jinchuriki

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018

Of course, as I said before, the motherboard is probably faulty, with the main problem being the 4-pin connector, it might be the only problem, and might be part of the problem, but something is not working there, thats why I'm asking for uncommon ways to maybe fix it, something to do with soldering or whatever solution there might be.