Question ATX 8 pin extension cable

Jan 24, 2020
Are there any specific cable requirements for the cable I need to make to extend the atx/eps cable . AWG is not really known here . I have some 14/0.3mm "auto cable "sold as 14 gauge, some chunkier cable sold as 16 gauge . I also have two ready made cables marked 18awg and 22awg where the 22 looks better than the 18 , but am not sure about these . Decent ready made cables are not available here

Last edited:
Personally I'd use one step heavier gauge (lower AWG number) for the extension than whatever came with it. Just to be safe as length increases resistance. Most PSU are 18 Gauge. I think some junk ones even use 20 gauge. Expensive PSU often use 16 Gauge. I can't see using anything heavier than 16 Gauge. Heavier wire won't hurt anything as long as it fits. I couldn't picture going heavier than 16 gauge. Except in very long runs.

Just make sure you use the correct size molex terminals and your crimps or solders are good and everything plugs into the correct connector. The wrong voltage or worse wrong polarity can kill your computer.
https://www.moddiy.com/pages/Power-Supply-Connectors-and-Pinouts.html

Jan 24, 2020
For flexibility, you probably want stranded rather than solid wire. Wire gauge should be the same as the original power supply.
If wire gauge is not the standard measurement then this chart may help -- https://www.canford.co.uk/TechZone/Article/MetricAWGWireSizeEquivalents
That link was very informative thank you . I have been searching on an older i-phone which will not load these forums . I think the 16 AWG equivalent is required with 19/0.3 stranding which does not seem to be available , only 14/0.3 and 28/0.3 which if it is what I have ( I will have to measure and count the strands) is a bit chunky and a little large for the connectors . Have just found 17/0.3 cable , which has a cross section of 1.5 mm . I have been testing ,without success, the resistance of the various cables . I guess I need a better multimeter .

Jan 24, 2020
The lower the gauge is the thicker the wire. I don't know why wire gauge is measured this way. Anyways the lower the gauge. The more power it can handle.
Thanks for the reply , after chasing my tail for so long in trying to find the optimal size wire , I am far more keyed up on wire sizes than before ;) . So atm will stick with the 14/0.3mm which is 1 mm2 compared to the ideal of 1.3 mm2

I was thrown off by the numbers being reported. I thought you had 14 gauge wire. You're using 28 gauge 0.32 mm thick. It's surprising you can't get thicker wire it's pretty common. Are there not any electrical supply or hobby stores?

Wire gauge conversion

https://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/encyclobeadia/charts/6404

Edit: In a pinch you could get the wires from an extension cord. Normally they use stranded wires. It should be pretty easy to find one which is 16 gauge. There should be two to three wires per cable in an extension cord.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020
I was thrown off by the numbers being reported. I thought you had 14 gauge wire. You're using 28 gauge 0.32 mm thick. It's surprising you can't get thicker wire it's pretty common. Are there not any electrical supply or hobby stores?

Wire gauge conversion

https://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/encyclobeadia/charts/6404

Edit: In a pinch you could get the wires from an extension cord. Normally they use stranded wires. It should be pretty easy to find one which is 16 gauge. There should be two to three wires per cable in an extension cord.
Believe me , I have tried Everywhere . The 14/0.4 mm equates to 18 awg and i think it is good enough . 28/0.3 mm equates to 14 gauge ( 2.0 mm2 ) and is too large for the connectors , can do it with 30/0.25 mm2 which is 1.5mm2 ( 15.5 mm2 approx ) . I just want to match the size of cable from the PSU .

Believe me , I have tried Everywhere . The 14/0.4 mm equates to 18 awg and i think it is good enough . 28/0.3 mm equates to 14 gauge ( 2.0 mm2 ) and is too large for the connectors , can do it with 30/0.25 mm2 which is 1.5mm2 ( 15.5 mm2 approx ) . I just want to match the size of cable from the PSU .

That works. I don't really understand the wire gauging your country is using. If the wire itself is the same diameter and copper. It should handle the same current.

Jan 24, 2020
That works. I don't really understand the wire gauging your country is using. If the wire itself is the same diameter and copper. It should handle the same current.
The criteria is as large as possible , but it has to fit the connectors ( I tried 28/0.3 mm ( 14 awg ) and it does not fit - Which means that manufacturers dont use anything that big - I think ) . One other point is the stranding , more strand more flexibility and less current so 32/0.2 mm is sold as 14/0.3 mm . Lots of conflicting data on the current capacity data . If the 32 and the 14 have the same current capacity then the 32 would be better . . I always believed that more strands equaled less current rating , not sure .