ATX/BTX Confused

G

Right could someone please clarify my limited understanding, between the ATX and BTX standards.

Basically im asking this as I have a Kandalf case which supports ATX and BTX (with kit) and from my understanding BTX is more thermally efficient. And As i intened to remain air cooled when I upgrade my machine after christmas C2D etc is it worth while going to BTX and if I do what would I require different to the current ATX standard I am running at the moment.

Just so you know I am looking to go to something like evga 680i chipset mobo, c2d cpu, 2GB DDR2 Corsair SLI RAM, 8800GTX (a second at a later date) SATA DVDRW, 2x 500GB SATAII drives

Bringing from the last PC - 2x Raptors, Creative Audigy 2 Platinium Soundcard, the case and a Enernmax 620W PSU oh and good ol FDD LOL

I hope this makes some sense, if not yell at me and ill try to make it clearer LOL

Cheers

Edd

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
my friend got a btx case and all that it does is look pretty. i mean, i'm not saying btx doesn't have advantages, but his c2d "overheats like a bitch." <- direct quote.

i'm not trashing btx at all. my friend just sux. but the thing is, you can do the same thing, oc the hell outta a c2d (and probably even manage those sli'd 8-bests) with the addition of some case fans. i don't know how hot those 8800gtxs run, but people have done some crazy stuff with air. i dont really know that it is necessary to buy any such upgrade kit or w/e.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
A BTX laid-out motherboard just provides more advantageous cooling (considering the limited space) IN A BTX CASE! There is no cooling benefit of a BTX motherboard over ATX in a regular ATX case. You might as well go for an ATX board.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I have almost identical set-up right now running on air. My E6600 is o/c to 3.7 (56c load) and is about the highest I've maintained stable so far. This is actually a great o/c and I'm very happy for day to day gaming. The 8800's will run in the low 80's at load temps. My case is a COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 which is a ATX/BTX version. I have never ran the BTX configuration. I may go to water cooling someday which this case has plenty of room for.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
8O that is an insane system! do you really have two 88s? OMG 8O

do you have any screenies or vids or anything? in sli? JEEBUS. that is insane.

listen to mr. crazy-rig: with two 88s and air, he's fine, so you should be too... unless you REALLY need a btx board b/c you love it or something.