[SOLVED] ATX Cable extension effects fps?

gaz2210

Prominent
Feb 26, 2018
Hello.

recently i bought 4pin ATX cable to be able to mount cpu cooler ( MasterCooler Hyper 212 EVO ) as the normal PSU cable wouldnt reach the 4pin connector, but after installing it my fps across all games has been reduced ( i know i moved cooler a lot coz it was hard to mount the cooler ) but the 4pin ATX extension cable could decrease the performance of the PC? like from 120fps i dropped to 50-90 in Rocket League and other games

( link to the cable i bought )
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-AT...GO97qSOMRlBS26Bx6CN4Jou-wx7LJuY0VTtMQP1Hdyq4o

Solution
Issue fixed.

( old config: Intel Stock Cooler, no 4pin ATX Cable extension )

decided to go back to old configuration to check if i didnt damage CPU pins or motherboard. after that the low performance got fixed, my beautiful 50C on CPU :'( well i think its time to buy Modular power supply or power supply that have longer 4pin connector :(
How does installing a new CPU cooler affect if the PSU cable can reach the motherboard header? either way a PSU cable shouldn't be able to decrease your FPS.

Make sure all your drivers are updated, check the temps on your GPU as well.

When you say your temps are 50-55C are those your temps will stressing the system?

gaz2210

Prominent
Feb 26, 2018
CPU: I5-4670

the temps on GPU are approximately max 60C ( when playing games, and running heaven benchmark, most dependend on scene and the fan speed )
The CPU temps were measured in Cinebench R20, R15 ( in R20 before CPU cooler installation i had roughly 1500 as far as i remembered, and in R15 had 550? 560?, after installation i had 1350 on R20 and 530 in R15 )

i think i have most drivers updated, fresh Nvidia Drivers, sound drivers, windows is not up to date i believe but last time i installed windows update i had problem were Windows got corrupted to point where i had to clean partition using CMD to install windows, so i wait few more weeks and then update )

gaz2210

Prominent
Feb 26, 2018
Issue fixed.

( old config: Intel Stock Cooler, no 4pin ATX Cable extension )

decided to go back to old configuration to check if i didnt damage CPU pins or motherboard. after that the low performance got fixed, my beautiful 50C on CPU :'( well i think its time to buy Modular power supply or power supply that have longer 4pin connector :(

Solution