atx ges power supply format???

eebling

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Hey everyone, I have a tyan s2462 with 2 amd mp 2800+ procs, the current psu is one from nmb and says it is atx ges and the tyan mobo manual says using any other kind can result in serious damage to the mobo...So why can't I seem to find any power supplies that sasy atx ges on them? Is that name replaced by the eps format? The mobo has a 24 pin and 8 pin power connector and that seems to be what the eps 12v has as well....I want to get the ocz powerstream 520w and a rep from ocz said it should work, but does anyone else have info on this? has eps 12v replaced atx ges? any insite into this matter would be very helpful since my old psu is on its last leg! Thanks in advance for any help...

Eric.

eebling

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
well, any takers...? I've done a little more searching and it seems that if I get a eps 12v psu it will work. those have the 24 and 8 pin connectors my mb needs....but I'd still like confirmation from someone if anyone knows....Thank you.
E.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Well, I have a new EPS 12v power supply in an old dual PIII xeon machine (mobo has 24pin power connection) and it works fine. If it works on that old junker it should work on that newer tyan board :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

eebling

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
cool man, thanks for the response. I think I'm just gonna order one and plug it in and see what happens....!

imneverlast

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I wonder if you could come back and tell me what happened. I seem to have run into the same problem.
i got this tyan board with the understanding That I would get the power supply and the guy moved off.

nice hu?
I looked you guys up thinking there would be a answer. LOL but it just ends with, - i will see what happens.
I only have one board. :O( if you blew yours up already there is no sense in me doing the same thing right?

Thanks in advance.

snarfies

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009

Obviously it didn't work and he has destroyed his only computer. :whistle:

amwahl

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
The EPS12V and ATX-GES Power Supply motherboard power plugs (P1) have the same number of pins, however, the pinouts are in different arrangements. You cannot use an EPS12V adapter on the Tyan S2462 motherboard, since this will provide the wrong voltage pinouts and damage the motherboard. Adapters are available to convert an EPS12V P1 pintout to the arrangement required by an ATX-GES P1 pinout. A web search will provide suppliers for such an adapter.