ATX motherboard with onboard vga for AMD 2500 XP?

Hi

I'm looking to build a replacement for my old pc, what I'd like to do
is get a Athlon 2500 (£50 ish) and combine it with an ATX motherboard
with onboard vga for another £50, so I don't need to buy a graphics
card straightaway. Ideally a 400fsb but if a 333fsb is the right
price that would be ok too

Any recommendations for a suitable motherboard, I also want to keep
the pc as quiet as possible so any fan/sink recommendations would be
useful too

Thanks

Danr

"toupeira" <brickswanted@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm looking to build a replacement for my old pc, what I'd like to do
> is get a Athlon 2500 (£50 ish) and combine it with an ATX motherboard
> with onboard vga for another £50, so I don't need to buy a graphics
> card straightaway. Ideally a 400fsb but if a 333fsb is the right
> price that would be ok too
>
> Any recommendations for a suitable motherboard, I also want to keep
> the pc as quiet as possible so any fan/sink recommendations would be
> useful too
>
> Thanks
>
> Danr

Epox makes a couple of boards that would be perfect for you. They have no
fan on the mainboard, so it will help keep the system quiet. They are very
powerful, have nforce2 chipset and built-in GF4 graphics plus 8X AGP slot.
The older one is 333fsb but cheap. The newer one is probably right at your
price point and has 400fsb. The only downside is that they are microATX.
That shouldn't be a problem unless you ever intend to use more than two PCI
expansion cards. But with onboard sound and onboard LAN, it's unlikely
you'd ever need more than two PCI slots. And microATX should fit any ATX
case just fine. The link to the newer one is below, the 8rgm3i. Delete the
"3" from the model number to find the older one, the 8rgmi. -Dave

http://www.epox.nl/english/products/motherboard/8rgm3.htm

Stacey

toupeira wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking to build a replacement for my old pc, what I'd like to do
> is get a Athlon 2500 (£50 ish) and combine it with an ATX motherboard
> with onboard vga for another £50, so I don't need to buy a graphics
> card straightaway. Ideally a 400fsb but if a 333fsb is the right
> price that would be ok too

Read a bunch of reviews and bought a chaintech 7NIF2/barton2500. Has nforce
400 IGP with lots of good onboard stuff. I read some of the other boards
with IGP acted flaky using the onboard video. Use 2 sticks of DDR and it
should work great, even the OB video is fine for any but the latest games
at high rez.

These IGP's do have problems using DDR400 and the IGP but work fine with
DDR333 or DDR400 with an separate AGP card. You want to run the ram in sync
with the CPU anyway so unless you get a 400FSB chip, don't sweat it.
--

Stacey

>Here's a link to a Biostar board I'm using for 2 systems. Both have worked
>flawlessly for months. It's an mini ATX board (which fits fine in an ATX
>case). Only difference is you have 3 PCI slots vs 5.
>http://www.biostar.com.tw/products/mainboard/board.php3?name=M7NCG%20400
>
>Fitz

I have seven of those and they are great. All with generic PC3200 RAM.
All 2500+ @ 3200+ or higher. Two have the Mobile Barton at 2.4GHz.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 11:13:54 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"toupeira" <brickswanted@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm looking to build a replacement for my old pc, what I'd like to do
>> is get a Athlon 2500 (£50 ish) and combine it with an ATX motherboard
>> with onboard vga for another £50, so I don't need to buy a graphics
>> card straightaway. Ideally a 400fsb but if a 333fsb is the right
>> price that would be ok too
>>
>> Any recommendations for a suitable motherboard, I also want to keep
>> the pc as quiet as possible so any fan/sink recommendations would be
>> useful too
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Danr
>
>Epox makes a couple of boards that would be perfect for you. They have no
>fan on the mainboard, so it will help keep the system quiet. They are very
>powerful, have nforce2 chipset and built-in GF4 graphics plus 8X AGP slot.

A-ah! Be careful what you promise. Not "GF4" graphics, - 'GF4 MX' is
what is offered. And GF4 MX is basically GF2, Not GF4.

Still as good as integrated graphics come, of course.

ancra