[SOLVED] ATX Rebuild, memory suggestions

gargoyle666

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Currently I run Linux Mint 18 on an ASUS P5WD2 Premium MOBO with Intel P4 630 3.0GHz CPU and with 6GB memory. It’s a bit slow but works okay for my needs (don’t do gaming, download movies, etc., only basic surfing and word-processing, simple home stuff).

Rebuilding old ATX desktop case with a new MOBO and wondering just how much memory I really need. Looking at new mobos, such as Asus PRIME H470-PLUS ATX LGA1200 with a Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor. 16GB RAM seems about the norm these days and probably more than I need. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks.

Solution
By paired, that means from a single matched kit, not two of the same part number which may be cheaper, but is not guaranteed to work properly.

Yes, a 2 x 8gb kit would be appropriate.

Do you have a discrete graphics card?
If not, the 10400 with included graphics would work.

And, plan on a ssd of some sort. It really makes a lot of difference in everything you do.
Currently I run Linux Mint 18 on an ASUS P5WD2 Premium MOBO with Intel P4 630 3.0GHz CPU and with 6GB memory. It’s a bit slow but works okay for my needs (don’t do gaming, download movies, etc., only basic surfing and word-processing, simple home stuff).

Rebuilding old ATX desktop case with a new MOBO and wondering just how much memory I really need. Looking at new mobos, such as Asus PRIME H470-PLUS ATX LGA1200 with a Intel Core i5-10400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor. 16GB RAM seems about the norm these days and probably more than I need. Any suggestions/comments? Thanks.
Even for heavy gaming on windows, 16GB is still enough. For what you need it for neither fast nor a lot of RAM is needed but whatever you get, buy them in pairs.

By paired, that means from a single matched kit, not two of the same part number which may be cheaper, but is not guaranteed to work properly.

Yes, a 2 x 8gb kit would be appropriate.

Do you have a discrete graphics card?
If not, the 10400 with included graphics would work.

And, plan on a ssd of some sort. It really makes a lot of difference in everything you do.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution