Question ATX vs ATX/12V - Should I get a new power supply?

Aug 9, 2019
Should I get a new power supply? I have a seven year old Seasonic 620 watt power supply. Old, but top quality. I do not understand why I see multiple recommendations that a new build should have an ATX/12V power supply.

My new build will be very nice but basic (No plans to overclock - my current build heated my room to 90 when I got significant performance gains from overclocking, plus I have forgotten almost everything I know since retiring):
Ryzen 7 3700x
Radeon RX 5700xt
ATX motherboard
16 to 32 gb RAM (still undecided)
recycled 512 gb SSD
recycled hard drive
recycled DVD rw

Newegg recommends a 476 watt power so my current one is plenty big enough.

What do you think?

Thank you for your answers.

My opinion on this is....
First.....I have multiple PC PSUs that have been running continuously for over 20 years in a filthy manufacturing plant.
So.....they can last a LONG time.
That being said.....if I was going to invest in all that new hardware.....I would feel much more comfortable with a new PSU because I think that all being equal....a 7 year old PSU is going to fail before a new one and I wouldn't want to risk my new hardware.

Aug 9, 2019
My opinion on this is....
First.....I have multiple PC PSUs that have been running continuously for over 20 years in a filthy manufacturing plant.
So.....they can last a LONG time.
That being said.....if I was going to invest in all that new hardware.....I would feel much more comfortable with a new PSU because I think that all being equal....a 7 year old PSU is going to fail before a new one and I wouldn't want to risk my new hardware.

Good point. I had a two year old OCZ power supply short and start my motherboard on fire.
What about AT vs ATX/12V?

Here....I copied and pasted below for your info.
Pretty much all motherboards are 24 pin now and pretty much all PSUs you buy now are also 24 pin.

Motherboards that use the 24-pin connector are called ATX12V 2.x, while motherboards that use the 20-pin connector can be either an ATX12V 1.x motherboard or an ATX motherboard. Note that these names refer to the electrical connection of the motherboard and not to the motherboard's physical size.May 29, 2008

Good point. I had a two year old OCZ power supply short and start my motherboard on fire.
What about AT vs ATX/12V?
As far as what I would get?
Lately I have been buying the Corsair RMx series....I have two running now for a few years with no issues. I think most people would consider those good quality PSUs.
Also, the Seasonic Focus series is generally spoken very highly of.