[SOLVED] ATX won’t display image; USBs won’t power

Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com
Ok so my cat got up onto my tower and pulled my VGA cord really hard and immediately after I stopped having display or usb power.i know it isn’t the cord or the tv because they work with my laptop just fine. I tried resetting cmos jumper and bios battery (properly grounded + wrist strap for everything), I’ve replaced my motherboard with a new one (same model), made sure my CPU is seated properly, checked and rechecked my mobo wires, and all I’m getting is a “no input” from my tv , the fans, the lights to my fans, and CDROM all show power. USB also still don’t work, no connection noise, no noise at all. I was hoping replacing my motherboard would fix it. I’m also not getting any beeps or boops when I start it up.

Do you suppose it’s the power supply or BIOS? I have an integrated GPU. Everything I’m working with is ATX. I thought maybe my bios setting automatically switched to DVI-D when my VGA got damaged but the problem with the USBs is a real issue that would prevent me from doing anything with BIOS if I manage to get into that menu. If I can’t narrow down the problem in the next few weeks I’m just going to ultimately take it into a shop.

Lenovo IMH6 Motherboard
Intel core i5 3650 (I think that’s the chip number)
12Gb RAM (8+4)
Seagate 2TB SATA (not sure what brand unless stated but I can check)
PCIE1 Wireless Card
500w Power Supply
SATA CD- ROM Drive (motor busted)

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so my cat got up onto my tower and pulled my VGA cord really hard and immediately after I stopped having display or usb power.i know it isn’t the cord or the tv because they work with my laptop just fine. I tried resetting cmos jumper and bios battery (properly grounded + wrist strap for everything), I’ve replaced my motherboard with a new one (same model), made sure my CPU is seated properly, checked and rechecked my mobo wires, and all I’m getting is a “no input” from my tv , the fans, the lights to my fans, and CDROM all show power. USB also still don’t work, no connection noise, no noise at all. I was hoping replacing my motherboard would fix it. I’m also not getting any beeps or boops when I start it up.

Do you suppose it’s...
Jun 8, 2019
www.thisedm.com

Do you suppose it’s the power supply or BIOS? I have an integrated GPU. Everything I’m working with is ATX. I thought maybe my bios setting automatically switched to DVI-D when my VGA got damaged but the problem with the USBs is a real issue that would prevent me from doing anything with BIOS if I manage to get into that menu. If I can’t narrow down the problem in the next few weeks I’m just going to ultimately take it into a shop.

Lenovo IMH6 Motherboard
Intel core i5 3650 (I think that’s the chip number)
12Gb RAM (8+4)
Seagate 2TB SATA (not sure what brand unless stated but I can check)
PCIE1 Wireless Card
500w Power Supply
SATA CD- ROM Drive (motor busted)

Okay, so;

I finally figured out what is going on with my audio production pc after much sweat and tears (and contacting the supplier for the replacement motherboard).

It turns out that in the process of installing the new motherboard I forgot to write down which slots my RAM cards were originally installed in. Usually this wouldn’t matter much but in my case it matters quite a bit as I currently am using a 4Gb and an 8Gb RAM for a total of 12Gb. Since the RAM cards aren’t an equivalent amount some motherboards (including mine) might not “like” that set up. For me it turned out that getting it to work properly was simply a matter of switching which slot my RAM was plugged into:
Slot 1: 8GB
Slot 2: 4Gb
Result: Failure to boot

Slot 1: 4Gb
Slot 2: 8Gb
Result: proper booting

I just figured I would post the answer to this problem here on the forum just in case someone happens to have a similar problem that I did. I’m happy to report that my computer is now working and I am now currently planning my next set of long overdue upgrades.

Happy building!

Solution