Let's just say that someone bids way too much for a non-original
machine. The ad says that it is rare and totally original. It is
totally obvious that it is not original and not that rare.
You e-mail the seller and explain their mistake in calling the machine
rare and totally original. They see the error in their ways, say that
they are going to change the ad, and only put in a small disclaimer.
Game still says rare, I think super rare actually.
Now people are bidding on it thinking it is super rare and maybe
original.

Do you:

A) Let people bid, it's none of your business. Maybe someday you would
like that bidder to buy stuff from you?

B) E-mail the bidder and explain that the seller is selling a fake?
or
C) Laugh at the bidder and play another game of Ghosts & Goblins?

Just curious. I know that I would be scared to death to continue to
auction something off that I was informed was not what I was trying to
sell. And, I would be pissed off if I won something that was neither
rare or original if the ad said it was, even if the deal ended up being
a descent one.
-Tim

I ahve informed the bidders of something very similar. In every case I
was sent an email from tehm thanking me for pointing this out. However,
the bidders never retracted their bids, so I think they were shills
anyway.

This was regarding some POS with a FoodFight cocktail that was actually
a MAME machine. He only mentioned that in the very fine print at the
bottom of his ad.

I contacted EBAY many times, but they seem to allow this kind of
fraudulant activity.

caveat emptor

let the buyer beware.....

If they are stupid enough to bid on something without doing their
research.........(as I have).........you end up going to the school of
hard knocks and hopefully learn your lesson.

Leave em be.

My 2 cents

Pat D.

mudmantim wrote:
> Let's just say that someone bids way too much for a non-original
> machine. The ad says that it is rare and totally original. It is
> totally obvious that it is not original and not that rare.
> You e-mail the seller and explain their mistake in calling the machine
> rare and totally original. They see the error in their ways, say that
> they are going to change the ad, and only put in a small disclaimer.
> Game still says rare, I think super rare actually.
> Now people are bidding on it thinking it is super rare and maybe
> original.
>
> Do you:
>
> A) Let people bid, it's none of your business. Maybe someday you would
> like that bidder to buy stuff from you?
>
> B) E-mail the bidder and explain that the seller is selling a fake?
> or
> C) Laugh at the bidder and play another game of Ghosts & Goblins?
>
> Just curious. I know that I would be scared to death to continue to
> auction something off that I was informed was not what I was trying to
> sell. And, I would be pissed off if I won something that was neither
> rare or original if the ad said it was, even if the deal ended up being
> a descent one.
> -Tim

You had better watch out if you send the e-mail... you would technically be
interfering with an auction and e-bay could boot your account (so basically
you should set up a dummy account for this stuff...).

I only did this once... someone was "selling" a top of the line ATI card a
year or so ago... they listed all the specs, etc... The bid was up to
almost $400... only if you read the really tiny (and I mean small font)
disclaimer in the bottom would you discover that he wasn't selling the board
but information pointing to where you can get it cheap on the web... what a
schmuck... the high bidder thanked me and withdrew his bid...

steve

"mudmantim" <mudmantim@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Let's just say that someone bids way too much for a non-original
> machine. The ad says that it is rare and totally original. It is
> totally obvious that it is not original and not that rare.
> You e-mail the seller and explain their mistake in calling the machine
> rare and totally original. They see the error in their ways, say that
> they are going to change the ad, and only put in a small disclaimer.
> Game still says rare, I think super rare actually.
> Now people are bidding on it thinking it is super rare and maybe
> original.
>
> Do you:
>
> A) Let people bid, it's none of your business. Maybe someday you would
> like that bidder to buy stuff from you?
>
> B) E-mail the bidder and explain that the seller is selling a fake?
> or
> C) Laugh at the bidder and play another game of Ghosts & Goblins?
>
> Just curious. I know that I would be scared to death to continue to
> auction something off that I was informed was not what I was trying to
> sell. And, I would be pissed off if I won something that was neither
> rare or original if the ad said it was, even if the deal ended up being
> a descent one.
> -Tim

You've got a few things happening here. First, I don't think the seller is
trying to deceive anyone. I think he's just using exagerated wording to
make the item seem more attractive... it's like putting "WOW!" at the end of
an auction title.

Rare is a subjective word. Your definition of Rare and his definition of
Rare are two totally different things. Lets say the game is a Pac Man. Pac
Man was not, in your opinion or mine, a rare game, they made tons of them.

However, to someone who doesn't buy arcade games, a Pac Man arcade game is
rare... you don't see them anymore, and nobody has them in their homes..
it's RARE to see that game. So to him, maybe Pac Man is a "rare" arcade
game in the sense that any arcade game is rare.

'57 Chevy Belair's were made by the thousands, but it's 'Rare' to see one
anymore. If you're a car collector, though, you likely know where there's
dozens of them.

Like someone else said, "Buyer Beware". I've made mistakes buying things
many, many times, and I now do research before I bid on something.

Ultimately, it's none of your business (no offense). I've sold stuff on ebay
for hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than what it was worth, sometimes
4 times what it was worth, and the buyers were 100% satisfied, and just
happy as hell to get it.

If he said "All Original" he probably just assumed it was all original. I'm
taking from your post that he removed that part after you told him it wasn't
all original, so in my opinion, the seller isn't doing anything wrong, or
even deceptive.

Ron
"mudmantim" <mudmantim@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Let's just say that someone bids way too much for a non-original
> machine. The ad says that it is rare and totally original. It is
> totally obvious that it is not original and not that rare.
> You e-mail the seller and explain their mistake in calling the machine
> rare and totally original. They see the error in their ways, say that
> they are going to change the ad, and only put in a small disclaimer.
> Game still says rare, I think super rare actually.
> Now people are bidding on it thinking it is super rare and maybe
> original.
>
> Do you:
>
> A) Let people bid, it's none of your business. Maybe someday you would
> like that bidder to buy stuff from you?
>
> B) E-mail the bidder and explain that the seller is selling a fake?
> or
> C) Laugh at the bidder and play another game of Ghosts & Goblins?
>
> Just curious. I know that I would be scared to death to continue to
> auction something off that I was informed was not what I was trying to
> sell. And, I would be pissed off if I won something that was neither
> rare or original if the ad said it was, even if the deal ended up being
> a descent one.
> -Tim

Ok, I think I know what to do now...nothing.

I understand the WOW and rare being someones opinion. I try to skip
right over anything with WOW in the description, it sounds used car
salesman to me. If it says rare, I might look, especially if I have
the game. I know that I would not be lucky enough to have anything
rare. So, it's fun to see.

This particular guy agreed with my e-mail that he did not have an
original game, that it wasn't that rare, and that he should change his
ad so that he wouldn't be selling something that wasn't what he
claimed. I think the only thing he did was ad "Cabinet's been
repainted, so I don't know if it is" before his original statement of
it being original. And he added that he is "not a dealer".
He kinda was saving his ass but he clearly knew that it wasn't what he
was selling.

Also, he made reference to receiving it as a gift in his ad but, in one
of his e-mails he says something about it and a couple other games that
he purchased from an operator. Technically, not a gift.

I would hope that if I was tired, in a hurry, or just happy to see
something that I wanted and I bid and it turned out to be NOT what I
was bidding on, I sure would hope that someone would inform me.

And maybe it would be messing with someone's auction, but if there was
no offer to sell or buy anything, I wouldn't see anything wrong with
it. eBay might though.

Now, what if someone is selling something for WAY higher than the item
is worth? Let that person know or not? I would, probably, let them
know only if I was interested in that item.

Or, their shipping charge being crazy high? Like $60 to send a
backglass UPS, claiming that they take it to a packaging company and
they package it and then send it off using UPS. Or the guys who refuse
to say a shipping charge until you win, but it will be actual charges.
Then you win and BOOM, you are hit with a $30 charge to send something
less than a pound parcel post.

I guess, do nothing is the course of action for anything. "Let the
buyer beware"