Audi Uses Nuance's Speech Engine in New A3 Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Although speech to text is undoubtedly safer than fumbling with a phone, why should we just assume that there is no safety hazard? Is there any evidence that it is the same as talking on a hands free phone? The assumption is that it is safe, but where is the evidence?

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Although speech to text is undoubtedly safer than fumbling with a phone, why should we just assume that there is no safety hazard? Is there any evidence that it is the same as talking on a hands free phone? The assumption is that it is safe, but where is the evidence?[/citation]

Well, we could consider that when someone is texting (while driving) they sacrifice one hand and both their eyes intermittently to do it. Where as voice commanding still leaves both hands on the wheel, and both eyes on the road. That's not to say either way is not a compromise on safety, but I'd rather ride with the person who merely talking to the car, rather than a intermittently one armed blind man!

G

I can't wait to see what creative 'interpretations' the speech engine will produce.

I want to meet you at the club = I want to meat you at the club.

G

A man is waiting in a heavily jammed street and hoping to be there right on time to meet this new girl.

The man wanted to text the girl: "I will be there on time xxxx you straight from back, really"

actual mean was:" I will be there on time and taking Yolly street back alley"

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
A better design would be to have the car come with a copy of dragon naturally speaking, then after the user sets it up on their PC (extremely good voice control for your PC), they can import the speech file into their car for better recognition. A fully trained dragon naturally speaking voice file is more accurate than any no training required cloud like force service.

Status
Not open for further replies.