Question Audible hum using IEMs ?

May 12, 2022
Hello,

I've got this problem for a while now.
When I use over ear headphones I can't hear any noise but when using IEMs it's really annoying.
I use a JDS Labs atom+ stack and wanna use it with my Sennheiser ie 300s.

At first I thought that the stack is too powerful for iems but even when I use a cheap 30€ soundcard
I still hear that noise. I pulled every plug from my pc one by one to see what causes this and the result was that
the connection between my pc and dac / or just the usb soundcard conducts the noise to my iems.
And I've tried several other usb ports.

I even hear the noise when I unplug EVERYTHING besides the connections to my Dac / soundcard
and turn my PSU off I still hear the noise, so it's not related to the electric circuit in my room.
The noise goes silent when I touch any metal that is connected to my pc, I guess everything conductable.
Means, when I touch my 6,3mm to 3.5mm adapter that goes into the amp, the cinch cable that is connected between my
Dac and Amp or even the 3.5mm port on my condensor microphone for monitoring.

What is also weird is that the noise is always on the right side of the earphone.
I even switched the iem housings to the opposite side (left housing on right the side of the cable and vice versa).
I tried my iems also on my brothers pc and of course my phone and there's no noise whatsoever.
So I guess the noise comes from inside my pc? And how can I fix it.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Most IEM's are very sensitive, This is a common occurrence at least in the IEMs that I use.

May 12, 2022
Most IEM's are very sensitive, This is a common occurrence at least in the IEMs that I use.

That's what I thought too but it doesn't make sense since my iems have the same issue with any dac/amp, even when pc is turned off and dac/amp is turned off
and no issues when plugged in my brothers pc. Also the noise is not a hiss but a hum / buzz.

May 12, 2022
Also what I didn't try until now was letting my brother touch the adapter and when he does the noise remains whereas when I do it, it disappears. So I guess I'm grounding myself, what is the fix to that?

May 12, 2022
The noise goes silent when I touch any metal that is connected to my pc, I guess everything conductable.
Means, when I touch my 6,3mm to 3.5mm adapter that goes into the amp, the cinch cable that is connected between my
Dac and Amp or even the 3.5mm port on my condensor microphone for monitoring.

I could've also let him touch anything else but the adapter did suffice for testing.