Question Audible popping noise from PC case, might be the PSU ?

Stewmcgoo

Commendable
Jun 1, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2QscH2

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($277.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($151.07 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($82.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: NZXT H500 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)

Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.

I recently swapped motherboards and installed a 12600K. I fired up the computer this morning for it's first real challenge after some light rimworld. About 20 minutes into Red Dead Redemption 2, chugging along at 50 FPS, my girlfriend told me that my computer case was making sounds that "sounded like popcorn being cooked". She said she heard three pops. We didn't note any smells or visible smoke or fumes. The computer continued running just fine, although ever since then I've run into some unusual stuttering in games that I've never seen before.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.

I ran the fans at full speed to try and rule out them clipping cables, and they ran fine. Opened up the case and did my best to poke around for fried capacitors or anything out of the ordinary, but from what I can tell without removing the GPU or cooler everything is fine.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

From googling, it sounds like it may have been the PSU causing the noises. I have a Seasonic Focus 800W 80+ gold PSU and PCPartPicker estimates my maximum wattage draw as around 530W. I was willing to write off the odd sounds as something experiencing the effects of thermal expansion, since the computer has never generated that much heat until today. But the stuttering, even when not under load, has me doubting the explanation is so simple. I'm worried that if it is a PSU problem continual usage could exacerbate it. Please advise!

Lutfij

Titan
I recently swapped motherboards and installed a 12600K.
What were you on prior to the swap? Did you reinstall the OS after the migration? As for your "upgrade" what parts were recycled from your older build? Please include the age of the components in your build.

As for the pops, when you do hear them, you might want to take a sheet of A4 paper, roll it up into a cylinder and hold one end to your ear, with the other used as a probe to narrow down the source of the noise.