Audigy 1 platinum sound card XP drivers

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
i own a creative audigy 1 platinum sound card, when i tried loading the drivers (downloaded in 2005 from creative) for windows XP fresh setup (with the old drivers installed) with service pack 2, the self installer says it could not detect any creative product installed in my system, i got around this problem by manually extracting the drivers, but why does the self installer fails to detect?

anybody know why such an advanced card should hav any issues with XP

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
the card is perfectly fitted in to the motherboard slot. the orginal drivers had no such issues but is not meant for XP, the updates requires the old driver be installed. do u think i would be on tom's forum for such trivial issues, this is no place for novice.

firetatoo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
i have had an audogy 1 card in three computers (same card sequential builds). have never had a problem with detection.
does your device manager see it?
does your motherboard have onboard sound? if so: disable it throught the bios.
pull the card out and start the machine up.
shut it down, put the card back in and start it up.
update drivers via the internet (c.2007)
the real possibility exists that the card is kaput.

keep in mind we do not know if this a new build or what as you have been somewhat vague.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
the sound card is working perfectly fine in windows XP with the old drivers, but new drivers what i have downloaded says unable to detect creative product in my system. I am not satisfied with the original drivers as it was not meant for XP and mixer doesn’t work with the original drivers. and yes the mb has a onboard sound which is disabled.

let me put it in sequence for u

loaded win xp (fresh setup), updated it for SP2 (did not install SP1), then loaded the drivers from the creative cd. now when i try to install the updated drivers downloaded some time back in 2005-2006 from the creative website (a self installer) says it did not find creative prod. in my sys.

well there is one last update available for audigy1 which i havn't tried it yet. currently iam uable to access the internet from home due to some maintenance work around the locality so I’ll have to manage with what i hav already got. is it 'coz of some security settings like windows firewall or SP2.

sys config. Intel Core2 duo e6750 2.66ghz,
Asus p5kc mb,
cooler master RP-500-PCAR PSU
2gb ddr2 800mhz
320gb (16mb cache) sata hdd
geforce 8600 GTS
Creative Audigy 1 platinum sound card

daverimer

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Vivek,
I am having a similar problem. I cannot get windows to recognize my audigy card on my newer build.

Is there a specific way in which one must disable the onboard sound and then install the device/software? Can anybody else lend some insight?

Tug

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
Disable the onboard sound by getting into your BIOS. The keystroke to enter the BIOS varies from computer to computer. While the computer is booting up it will tell you to hit DEL or F1 or F12 or whatever. Then negotiate around in the BIOS til you see the setting for onboard sound.

This may not be the problem. I don't use the Creative drivers for my Audigy card but that is another story. Sometimes in the past, when I wanted to reinstall my Creative card and the puter wouldn't recognize it, I would shut down and change the PCI slot for the card which sometimes worked.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
daverimer,
disabling the onboard sound is all that is required for installing an addon card & thers only one way to do it which is verywell explained by "TUG", but our problem is not due to the onboard audio.

here's more details on the issue so far i have been able to study.
even after complete installation of original drivers the SB1394 (IEEE) in the device manager has a exclaimatory mark. secondly th auidgy is overheating (near the input/output pannel) and the asus p5kc motherboard temperature readings is veryhigh 55 degress celcius when my audigy is inserted other wise the mb temps are below 45 degress.

and the problem what "TUG" is refering to is a EEPROM being currupt where the drivers dont recognize the hardware. the eeprom on the audigy is written by the pci, changing of slots wont help....this is usually a case with newer boards, in the event using a third party (openware) driver would resolve the issue which bypasses EEPROM hardware identification.

killamanx2

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
I also have a audigy plat but im using Xp x64 i havent had any issues on this windows, i have had your problem with reg windows xp but that was on my old computer the prob was my pci slot couldnt figure out why.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
i tested it at my friends place i get the same warning "setup could not detect any sound blaster card on your system", i dont understand why creative made the driver installation so complicated.

winXP is detecting the card, the original drivers (meant for win2000) is detecting the card and working pretty fine (except for the mixer). why isnt the new drivers able to detect?'

thanks for all your replies

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Ok everyone with an original Audigy sound ! This is the problem you are having... I hope you kept the original disk that came with the sound card...

The deal is this you need to install the software that came on the disk first. If you do not the downloaded drivers will NOT work. I do not know exactly why it works this way but thats the deal. Dont worry even if nothing works under XP the disk will still install, and you can update your drivers.

Edit: Also for some odd reason when you update everything else it all starts working. The mixer and all.

If you did not keep your original install disk maybe some kind person could send you an image or maybe some P2P app may already have it ;) Lesson here is that some disks you just gotta keep (drivers and system disks should be kept in a safe location)

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
Ok everyone with an original Audigy sound! This is the problem you are having... I hope you kept the original disk that came with the sound card...

You have got it all wrong, that’s not the issue here you don’t seem to have read the postings clearly, nowhere have I mentioned that I have lost my original driver CD. After such extensive testing do you think we could have possibly missed out on a tiny yet crucial factor....

Few others too have diverted without understanding the core of the issue...

Updated drivers were tested over the previous version, and just for your kind information the latest release by creative is a stand alone package nevertheless I have tried all the combinations.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
its been a exahaustive research and i finally have the answer, the link below has the exact description of the problem and the cause, this is quite an old issue & was reported as early as 2002...

http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/forums/thread.asp?thre=21897

unfortunately this cannot be ressolved as this is confirmed component level failure...though in an another forum there is a referece to the card being restored manually (somehow getting winXP ACPI to rewrite the ID) but i doubt if other cards too could be restored in a similar way.

i thank you all for your time taken in posting/reading in this thread.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

This is not your issue... Thats a hardware failure. IE meaning it would not work at all.

But here you say it works with the old drivers, you should look again :)

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
JonathanDeane,

yes that was the confusion, i guess u didnt go through the link which describes the exact same problem, the original drivers are older than XP which does not check for hardware ID but the new drivers do check for ID, which is currupted, i have also mentioned certain features like mixer does not work properly under XP with the old drivers. Its all due to new architecture (ACPI/APCI) that XP had adopted for proper power management which resulted in the Currupt ID of my Audigy. hardware failure does not mean its completely burnt out.

i suggest u to go through the link & learn a bit of hardware architecture so that u have a better understanding of the issue....

apjohn2

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
vivek

THANK YOU so much. I finally broke down and used a long search string in Google to find this thread. Man, I have been pulling my hair out w/ this issue ever since I rebuilt my comp w/ a new mobo / gfx card. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have found this thread, and the link you posted about the known issue. Finally I can put this baby to rest and move on.

Cheers!

Curunir

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Hello friends,

The issue: for some reason only known to Creative, in certain cases the hardware id substring (a number used to identify the model number of your card) on the original Audigy sound cards becomes corrupted. This is described in more detail here: http://bottorff.net/Audigy/Audigy%20Project.htm. The driver setup program will then no longer allow you to install the drivers since 'a supported product can't be found'.

Now, let me point out that in my opinion
1. Creative ought to let you install any of their drivers for any pci card YOU decide, instead of forcing the installer to exit if a supported product supposedly can't be found.
2. Should take their responsibility and fix/replace the Audigy cards exhibiting this issue, or release drivers with a solution. The fact that this an older sound card is no excuse, since this is clearly an issue experienced by quite a number of people (search google).

However, there is one simple solution:
1. Install the excellent freeware Kxproject drivers (located at http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/). They will actually identify your card correctly, and also give better sound quality and many additional features Creative never bothered to make available (but which are supported by the chip on the card). This is the preferred solution since it's not to hard to install & configure these drivers.

If, however, you use Vista x64 (like I do), you're out of luck. Kxproject does not support x64 os-es. But, oh joy, I've found a solution!
Of course, on XP you could install the original drivers. But this option is more to my liking.

1. Download the driver package for the Audigy card from Creatives website
2. Open the .exe file in an archiving utility (eg. PowerArchiver), and extract the files somewhere
3. Open the extraction dir and go to the Drivers\wdm\ subdirectory
4. Open wdma_emu.inf in notepad
5. Press ctrl+F and do a search for "; Audigy, Audigy 2" (without the " of course)
6. Once you've found it, press enter, and on the next line paste
"%Audigy.DeviceDesc%=Audigy_Device,PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00401102" (without ")

-- This adds the corrupted hardware id to the list of allowed model numbers for the driver installation, enabling you to install the drivers anyway. If your corrupted id is different (look for the Details > Hardware ids tab in Device manager where your card is listed) copy the line "%Audigy.DeviceDesc%=Audigy_Device,PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0004&SUBSYS_00xxxxxx" (where xxxxxx is the number specific to your situation) instead. --

7. Repeat for the next "; Audigy, Audigy 2" line, and again, and again (so a total of 4 times). Smart people only need to do this step once, since it's only necessary for the section which applies to you ([Creative.NTX86.6] for x84 systems, [Creative.NTIA64.6] for itanium, [Creative.NTAMD64.6] for x64)
8. Save the file
9. Manually search for drivers in the device manager 'update driver' option, select the Drivers\wdm subdir and presto. Your drivers will finally install!
10. Run setup.exe located in the \Drivers subdir to tie up loose ends and complete the install.

You won't get all the creative bloatware this way (I haven't been able to fix the actual setup.exe program), but everything else will work fine and you'll be able to use your precious Audigy you paid good money for. If you want the FireWire/Gameport to work I fear you're out of luck too.. but vista wouldn't detect them for me anyway.

Good luck! You can reply or mail me (through the forum) if anything is unclear. And, in closing: shame on you, Creative.

vivek

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007

yeah sometimes its really hard to let go until we are fully convinced. bad so many of us got cheated by a company we trusted. Atleast i'll never buy a creative product again, their drivers always sucked! is why we see communities like kxproject.

thank you for such a detailed review. it appears the corrupted ID is the only issue so does your method enables the card to function normally withall the features livedrive, 5.1 surround/dolby etc.
and is there anyway we could permanently restore the corrupted eeprom data through software or other methods.

any suggestions is greatly appreciated