Audigy thrashing pci bus

icebear

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2001
Hi, got a huge problem... I'm running XP on my computer. Abit KT7-RAID, Duron 700, 512 MB Mosel, 512 MB winbond, Realtek pci networkcard, MSI geforce 2 mx and an symbios logic 810 SCSI card where I've got my 2 CD/DVDs connected.

The problem started when I replaced my SB Live card with SB Audigy. After the insertion of the Audigy at the pci port where the live card used to be all of my pci cards seems to be nonfunctional. AT first the computer locks up when I was reading from the cds (on pci SCSI). Uninstalled the Audigy card, but from here my network didn't work anymore. My cds could only be found when i searched for new hardware in device manager... Although the SCSI card was visible.

Tried to reinstall XP, with SCSI and networkcard as only pci device inslalled. Same thing with both the network card and SCSI. Pulled out the network card and moved my scsi card to another slot. Now the cdroms is found by the system, but the reading from them is far from reliable. Files missing, installation programs are crashing etc... I'm now using my ISA network card which seems to still work just fine (it was to installed during all of this).

Is there any possibility that the Audigy card has f..ed up my pci bus? Have tried to disable my highpoint controller and run (and install) my hds on th IDE channel. I've upgraded both the highpoint bios and my abit bios. Still the same result. By the way, I no longer get any ACPI errors in my eventlog...

Anyone have any ideas of what has happened? My first installation of XP worked just fine with the old configuration, but now it seems to be trouble everywhere.

Someone please... Getting myself some gray hairs here.

Duron 700, 1024 MB, KT7-RAID, Symbios c810, MSI GF2MX, DD Maze, Plexwriter 8/20, Pioneer 303

sound card is bad maybe? only way to see that is by removing all your pci cards and isa cards and run a game with intense music and sound and see if it crashes.

if not then take it back and ask the forum here for a different recommended sound card.

what OS are you running? could be a IRQ conflict too. installing win2k would solve that. xp ok i see that now... nevermind that then ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

icebear

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2001
That's the problem. Can't install my soundcard without access to my cdroms where the drivers are placed... I have copied the hole cd to my hd, but of course the programs want run from a directory on hd... (thanks creative)

During my latest reinstallation of XP, full format and all that, I didn't have any soundcard attached to the computer. Only SCSI, PCI network and ISA network cards.

I'm going to try another pci network card to see if it is my bus that is broke or just the cards attached to it...

Duron 700, 1024 MB, KT7-RAID, Symbios c810, MSI GF2MX, DD Maze, Plexwriter 8/20, Pioneer 303

G

have you tried going into your bios and telling it to reset the escd?

who is more foolish...
the fool, or the fool that takes his advice?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
when you reinstalled xp, did you format???
if not, then there might be some sb live drivers left somewhere making the whole thing conflict with the audigy....
you might have to remove all the things related to the old sb card, like remove from the registry, and the hd, and then do an install of the audigy.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

icebear

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2001
I've tried to reset the escd, but it wouldn't work. I've tried anything in the BIOS, upgraded it, run at lowest specs etc.

When I reinstalled XP I did format my harddrive. Always do that since I take my changes of clearing up my system with a format during reinstallation.

It seems that my motherboard has crashed. Not the pci cards that was my first guess. My computer is now extremely unstable. I don't even have any audio card mounted. It was the Audigy card that crashed the mobo, but Creatives policy are that they don't replace hardware trashed by theirs.

Did also notice another thing during my investigations. The bc93 component placed just beneath one of the cpuholders are crushed. What is the funktion of this component? This component have been crushed for at least a year so I don't know if it has anything to do with the Audigy crashing the mobo... Must have happened when i installed my cpu cooler.

Guess I'll have to buy myself a new mobo. I've looked around and some of the upcoming MPX dual boards will be the goal. Do not know which one though. Would be interesting to see some reviews of ASUS, ABIT, MSI etc.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
crushed components bad....
but yeah, too bad creative wont replace that mobo for ya....
have you tested the audigy in another computer?
maybe the audigy is screwed up, and it just transfered its screwed up-ness to your motherboard...
like if there is a short on the audigy, it might have sent feedback into the pci slot, which caused te death of the motherboard.
what a pile of wank!
i feel for ya man!

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

icebear

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2001
I guess that these components where placed there for some reason, hmm. I've tried to run this soundcard in another computer as well. Intel BX board. The result is just the same, the computer wont even post. Takes me to the conclusion that there is something very wrong with this soundcard. But I'm getting the replacement card next week. So now I'll only have to decide which motherboard to buy. To bad the new MPX boards don't approve with dual mode for the XP processors.

TRENDING THREADS